Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 CRV and after about the first 12k miles the front right strut started making a noise near steering lock to one side.

When it started you could only hear it near the end of the steering/turning travel. A rubber on rubber sounding squeak/squeal. Once warmed up or driven the sound goes away however over time it happens more and more constantly, gets louder and eventually happens any time you turn the wheel (but always more towards lock, not so much on center and only to one side). Once it is bad you can hear it over a bump too.

Fast forward a bit and we had taken it to the dealer who couldn't figure it out but replaced the strut. Noise gone. A few weeks later, same thing. Starts out only happening a little bit when cold and towards full steering lock to one side but over a few weeks/months gets progressively more constant and louder.

Dealer replaced strut again. A few months later... same thing. Dealer replaced strut a 3rd time after taking the car to a body shop to look for frame issues. They claimed that there had been some paint build up/over spray from the factory that was ground down and things were much quieter for a while.

A few months later and the same thing. Not quite as bad/fast this time. It's been a year since the last replacement and the noise took about 6 months to show up again.

From what I have read other Honda vehicles have had loose strut top bolts and it would make sense that could be the case here.

Has anyone else had this problem on a CRV? How do you get to the strut top bolt without dropping the strut? Looks to me like you have to somehow remove the whole front under the windshield?

I thought I might try checking the torque on that top bolt and would rather not have to drop the strut.

Thanks for the help

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
You don't mention your current mileage, but its possible that your Sway Bar end links could be causing a clunk.

Even some NEW 2017s had these parts insufficiently tightened from the factory.

You mentioned a squeak when turning, do you (or any drivers of your car) turn the wheel when stationary? That can stress stuff in the suspension, I'm thinking sway bar bushings.

Neither end-links or bushings are expensive.

+++++++++++++

If you want to try just tightening the center strut rod yourself, you usually need an offset wrench to reach the nut, and a hex wrench to keep the center rod from turning. Un-bolting not required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a clunk sound. Definitely a rubber type squeak. What is the torque on the end links? I'll check that too.

When it is warm, or rains a bit, the sound gets less or even goes away. Seems related to rubber expanding/contracting and/something being lubricated by water?

How do you access the strut top in a gen 4 crv? There is a plastic cover and under that a metal one that runs the length of the firewall.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
I'm afraid it could be anything in the front suspension that has a rubber isolator.

The sway bar BUSHINGS could make a rubber-sounding squeak, but so could a 'dry' ball joint. Control arm bushings are another possibility.

As a diagnostic, you could crawl under the car and spray components (one at a time) with Silicone Spray. If the silicone quiets the noise, you nailed it.

The end links should be as tight as you can get 'em without stripping. :Wink: You need a hex key (Allen) and an open end wrench. But I agree, that's a clunk not a squeak.

·
Registered
270 Posts
To determine if it's strut mounts or sway bar bushings (endlink bushings) When you first start the vehicle in the morning, in PARK, turn the wheel left and right. If you hear the noise and it diminishes as you drive (heat), it's the strut mounts.

Sway bar bushings you'll hear more on turns or on a bumpy road. Both of these are extremely common issues with '10+ Cadillac SRXs'. We call winter time "strut mount season".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts