Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a small flasher module on my 3rd brake light to help prevent rear-ends... these a neat and cheap devices, but require to tap into the 3rd brake light wiring.

Does anybody have instructions or video on how to get to the wiring? i can see there is a panel to be removed from the top of the tailgate (from inside), but I want to see detailed service manual if anyone has a copy of those pages please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Another way to enhance safety is to install LED bulbs for the brake lights as this will be seen faster & then earlier compared to incandescent lamps.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Faster to get to full brightness or ? Incandescent lamps are almost instantaneous.
Or are you talking about some other property, such as higher lumens, etc?
Curious. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Please post a link to the unit your using. The ones I have used only work with LEDs and actually the company sold the patent to another some yrs back and I cant remember who it was that bought it.

Been using these things for 10 plus yrs and they are a great little add on for sure.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Justin Time,
Are you talking about a 'strobe' type flasher? If so, I noticed that many are only for LED bulbs. Not sure how distracting that would be for the drivers behind you at a stop light, etc. :eek: Might cause road rage. :)
This looks promising: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/
Seems to act only upon hard deceleration, not just from the foot being on the brake.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
https://youtu.be/9gH5R_Ip4Gg

One I sold to a friend years ago and we installed it into his 06 Civic. I used to get them from gominigo.com and would buy dozens at a time. I sold them to all my friends and we even sold them from the last dealer I worked for.

From research I found years ago, people react to a flashing light .6-.8 seconds quicker than to a light just coming on, (day time situation) or just getting brighter, (night time and your running lights are on).

Half a second could really save my butt and for under $25.00 its something Im happy to have.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think it is a great idea, as long as it doesn't keep strobe flashing while you are at a stop light, etc.
I read more about that idea on http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/ and I like it. I wonder how hard it will be to install in a 03 Ody?
I was just questioning otto888man's advice to install LED lamps.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Faster to get to full brightness or ? Incandescent lamps are almost instantaneous.
Or are you talking about some other property, such as higher lumens, etc?
Curious. :eek:
Buffalo4

LED will be almost instantaneous & will get full brightness faster than Incandescent. I replaced mine with LED with higher Lumens.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to be using the one from http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com
But NOT the one with accelerometer. Either way these ones are fully configurable. Check the programming instructions. Awesome stuff. I plan to have mine flash 5 times quickly when I brake, and with a 10 second delay so it won't occur again until 10 sec have passed. This is so it doesn't get too distracting for people behind you in traffic.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Mine is set to flash 5 quick times then stay on whenever the brake pedal is depressed. Let off and reapply the brakes if you want it to flash again.

Its enough to get your attention when its needed without being annoying at all.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I guess the one with the accelerometer would be kind of useless on black ice or other super slippery road surfaces. :eek:
Has anyone installed one (for all the brake lights or just the high 3rd) on an 03 Ody? If so, I would sure like to see where it was installed and how it was installed, step by step.
Whoops, I had better ask this in the Odyclub forum. :eek:
If it isn't too difficult, I will most likely go for it!! :D

Buffalo4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts