Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the schedule that I have decided to follow. The following is a guide only.

I'm going to assume that if you are going to perform these maintenance procedures, you have already changed the oil at least once.

Rolled up on ramps

Oil draining. While this was happening, I replaced the drain plug washer (you should do this every oil change)

Drain plug and new washer installed

Use your finger to lube the gasket of the filter with fresh oil

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Filter Installed

Filled with 5W-20

Next is the air filter, push the 5 clips off the air box lid

Lift it up to access the filter

Original vs new

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installing the air filter is the reverse of removal.

Next is the cabin filter. Open the glove box and push the strut arm off.

Push the top edges of the glove box towards the middle and let it open all the way, and here's what you'll see:

Push the two tabs at either end towards the middle and pull out the filter tray

The filter lifts out of the tray

Here's the new filter in the tray next to the original one. Installation is the reverse of removal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you remove the oil filter before removing the oil drain plug?

From the look of the picture, it looks like you removed the oil filter first and then removed the oil drain plug. Is this right?

I tried to remove the oil drain plug on my CRV but it was too tight. I also noticed that with the oil filter still on, the socket wrench couldn't get a good fit on the drain plug bolt. Is this why you opted to remove the oil filter first before the drain plug bolt? Or did you remove the oil drain plug first using an extension for the socket wrench?

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice looking V. I assume you painted the plastic vtec covers? They look nice. And do you clean your engine compartment with engine bright? Very clean and nice looking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I tried to replace the air filter on my 2010 CR-V and I failed.
Could not lift the cover enough to pull it out. How the hell do they replace it?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Marky Mark, this is such great post and DIY, glad to see someone did this, never thought it would be needed to post but this is great for many who need to start off with little to no experience. This is truly something the forum needed, great job. I will be using it to change out the cabin filter when it is needed, only have 12K on mine but gearing up for next change by 20K and your post will definitely be useful. Thanks again, good luck and happy motoring, ciao.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does any counter need to be reset for the engine air filter and cabin filter, cos the dealer charged me $40 to install both of thm in my 2010 CR-V , I replace both of these myself in my Toyota Matrix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried to replace the air filter on my 2010 CR-V and I failed. Could not lift the cover enough to pull it out. How the hell do they replace it?
I figure that first timers, like me, are going to run into this problem. I made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6khxpqeno when I changed the engine air filter in my recently purchased used 2009 CR-V. I couldn't lift the air filter cover up either because some hosing was in the way. It might be possible to keep pulling and shoving until the hoses bend, but I figure that the air filter element is cheaper than hose replacement.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I figure that first timers, like me, are going to run into this problem. I made a video
when I changed the engine air filter in my recently purchased used 2009 CR-V. I couldn't lift the air filter cover up either because some hosing was in the way. It might be possible to keep pulling and shoving until the hoses bend, but I figure that the air filter element is cheaper than hose replacement.
The air box cover fits into a slot in the back so you must pull the cover forward first then lift up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
While I agree that FRAM filters are lesser in quality, there is a better way of going about posting such things.

On a side note, this is a great thread for the new user like me to do maintenance.

Thank you Marky Mark for the excellent write up!
I have two CRVs a 03 and a 11 both use same filter so I buy from Amazon in a 6 pack much cheaper.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you remove the oil filter before removing the oil drain plug?

From the look of the picture, it looks like you removed the oil filter first and then removed the oil drain plug. Is this right?

I tried to remove the oil drain plug on my CRV but it was too tight. I also noticed that with the oil filter still on, the socket wrench couldn't get a good fit on the drain plug bolt. Is this why you opted to remove the oil filter first before the drain plug bolt? Or did you remove the oil drain plug first using an extension for the socket wrench?

Thanks.
Use a box end wrench so you can hit it with the palm of your hand to pop it loose, much better to use than a socket less chance of a slip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts