Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I have a 2011 CRV SE which has about 87K miles on it. Recently I had two incidents when I started the engine, it would struggle a little bit, then maybe take me 2 to 3 times to turn the key in order to start the engine. After I fully charged the battery, it seems to be OK now, but I'm not sure if it's "starter" related issue.

The V is still having its original starter. According to what I read online, it seem that the a CRV starter average lifespan is about 100K to 150K miles. Do you think what I experienced was an starter related issue (or something else)? As a preventive measure, if such thing keeps happening in the next month or so, should I consider to just replace the starter as a preventive measure? After all, I guess it's not a good idea to really wait until the starter totally died (while you are somewhere far from home), then have to find a random mechanic to fix it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'd run it down to your local starter/alternator shop. The one I use here charges $10 to check it and diagnose. I would suspect the battery first, then the ignition switch or starter, or a loose or corroded battery or starter cable, etc. I would not suspect the starter first. They are not prone to going bad this early. In fact, a starter can last for a very long time. I would NOT take it to a dealer. Keep us posted on how this goes.

Also, please update your Avatar. Instructions are here: Please Update the Newest Version of your Avatar It only takes a minute, and will help us help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd run it down to your local starter/alternator shop. The one I use here charges $10 to check it and diagnose. I would suspect the battery first, then the ignition switch or starter, or a loose or corroded battery or starter cable, etc. I would not suspect the starter first. They are not prone to going bad this early. In fact, a starter can last for a very long time. I would NOT take it to a dealer. Keep us posted on how this goes.

Also, please update your Avatar. Instructions are here: Please Update the Newest Version of your Avatar It only takes a minute, and will help us help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi kloker, I'm just brand new and looking for further information on the start circuit issue. At present I can't get the vehicle to turn over. I replaced the battery (charged up to 12.6V) and get only a click or a tiny starter movement then nothing.
I've owned my 2007 Honda CRV for two years now. I have had to turn the ignition key twice for some time before it turns over. It's almost like I need to slightly push the key out of alignment for the second turn, then the engine starts to turn over. As a secondary issue (to my mind), the starter turns over slowly and get the engine going.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,489 Posts
Hearing only one click, sound like there could be an electrical issue?
Recommend you clean battery posts and cable terminals.
Inspect the cable where it is crimped to terminals
Follow negative cable to chassis ground and clean contact points.
Locate engine ground strap and clean those points.
Issue could also be a faulty ignition switch??

I do know that the battery in the CRV 51R is small
And probably could use an upgrade in cranking amps.

The starter circuit, begins at the positive post of the battery
Split off. One goes directly to the starter motor post B thru to ground
The other goes to the engine bay fuse box, fuse no. 1 (100 amps) and no. 2 (50 amps).
Continues onto ignition switch. Yellow wire from ignition switch to starter cut relay.
Yellow wire goes to two terminals on the relay.
One is travels to the park/neutral safety switch then to ground
The other is the relay switch to the wire going to the start motor post S thru motor to ground
That is the crude circuit schematic given in the Haynes manual
The service manual is very similar.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I've owned my 2007 Honda CRV for two years now. I have had to turn the ignition key twice for some time before it turns over. It's almost like I need to slightly push the key out of alignment for the second turn, then the engine starts to turn over. As a secondary issue (to my mind), the starter turns over slowly and get the engine going.
Both are symptoms of a worn starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts