Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i was thinking about putting some sounds into my crv but im not quite sure how to, i searched up some other forums online and some research about how to but seeing to it as im keeping the stock head unit and speakers, and its my first time, i was wondering if any of you guys can help me out, much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Well, we can help, but what are you trying to do? Install new speakers? Amp and subwoofer? Etc, we gotta get that part out of the way first. What do you want in the car?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Definitly possible with a low converter, or splicing into the rear channel or other channel for the amplifier. You can also run a high or regular set of speaker wires from the back of the HU to the amp. I believe they may also sell vehicle specific harnesses to do this now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm i thought so, i was thinking about a low converter but i never heard about running speaker wire to the amp from the head unit itself, what do you suggest? i want to have the simplest yet cheapest method

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Simplest would be speaker wire direct to the amp. On an amp you'll see a little input that looks like a phone jack or something and you can hook the wires directly to that. But the easiest route is to just turn the wires into RCA's at the back of the headunit and then run RCA's to the amp. You may also want some kind of converter or equalizer or something in line, because the stock stereo will not give you all the adjustements you need to listen to music comfortably. You'll most likely wind up with overpowering bass and have to adjust the amp every time you change the volume.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh wow, yeah that's what i read about online a line output converter im pretty sure it was, so im best off getting that then running the rca cables back into the amp, but before that i have to splice the wire harness to the head unit and find the wires that lead to the rear left and right speakers and connecting them into the converter am i right? :confused:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Sounds right. Those converters are maybe $15 or so now. I used to have one running my stock HU to an amp. The bass was terrible though, and I just bought an aftermarket HU for it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
YEah, the problem is the stock HU doesn't have the necessary adjustments to make the Sub not overpower the rest of the system. I'd buy either some way to equalize or an amplifier for the door speakers and you may be set with that. But I don't know how opt the new radios are in the newer Cr-v's. It may be better. Mine was the stock 2002 6 disc EX radio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh wow, yeah im hoping the newer ones are better =/ i guess ill ask around more people with 3rd gen crv's to see if they came across the same problem

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
another resource would be the elementownersclub.com they do more stereo work there. And maybe the stereo is the same, I'm not sure, on the newer elements. They're all obsessed with keeping the stock radio - I'd see what they've been doing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm running a sub and amp off of a LOC and the stock HU in my wife's 3rd gen. Took some playing with the gains on the LOC and on the amp to get the sound right, but now it sounds good. I also replaced all the factory speakers.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
nope, pretty easy.
Did you have to cut the original speaker plastic protection at all to istall the Rockford Fosgate Power series, 6.5" speakers?
I think it is part of the door inner plastic film. You would not want the speaker to rattle on the plastic.

The originals must be 5.25" - 5.5" speakers with shallow cones. Not sure. There is a big difference going to 6.5" speakers.

Do you need to use the Fosgate covers or will it fit behind the Original?

Any pictures?

-Rg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.