Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2 year old Interstate Megatron battery (MT51R) in our 2011 just gave out. It's over the 24 month free replacement warranty and it'll be about $79 for a new one (prorated). This will be the 3rd battery we replace and I want to try a bigger battery with more CCA to avoid having to replace it every few years.

Has anyone upgraded their battery to something bigger on a 3rd gen CRV? I've read several threads regarding replacement batteries and one mentioned a successful upgrade to a 24F group battery but that was on a 4th gen.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
My experience says batteries can only be trusted as long as their warranty. I change mine at the end of it regardless.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I saw one where the guy upgraded to the same size battery as the Odyssey, by getting the Odyssey battery tray and mounting it in place of the stock one. Worked perfect, gave about a 1/3 increase in cranking amps. I think if you want to go larger than that you have to change to a longer ground cable and rearrange or slightly modify a few things around the space to make enough room, but it can be done. I plan to do it on my '07.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw one where the guy upgraded to the same size battery as the Odyssey, by getting the Odyssey battery tray and mounting it in place of the stock one. Worked perfect, gave about a 1/3 increase in cranking amps. I think if you want to go larger than that you have to change to a longer ground cable and rearrange or slightly modify a few things around the space to make enough room, but it can be done. I plan to do it on my '07.
Larry, that is a popular mod for towing behind a motorhome so as to not end up with a dead battery after a full day of towing.
It won't work on the '07. I tried it on my '07 with an Odyssey box and it wouldn't fit. Honda must have changed the battery box area after '07. I ended up selling the Odyssey box to another later model CRV owner on an RV forum.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
F4Gary - Yeah, I think that guy (in the below-linked thread) was doing it on a 2013 model.

In this thread page, post #216: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...35034-larger-group-24-battery-install-22.html :

Custom install in an '07. There are a couple of other post on '07's in this thread also, including, I'm pretty sure, one using the Odyssey tray. I think. It could have been another thread but I don't remember. What I do remember is that he said he modified the Odyssey tray just slightly and it worked great.

Regardless, this is not a huge and difficult modification, pretty simple, can be done any number of ways. You can modify the stock tray, or the Odyssey tray, or make your own tray, or use wood or rubber or … etc. There are also other ways to go, such as a different battery type, such as AGM, which will fit size-wise with no modifications (they are relatively oddball sizes), etc.

But a larger battery will not last longer. They don't make 'em like they used to, and nowadays they last about two years plus, after which you will be running on luck. What a larger battery will do is give you more cold cranking amps, thus being less heavily stressed in severe weather/situation starting, and be helpful when you have vehicle mods or habits like when you have a more powerful custom stereo and like to listen to it in the car while it is not running, while waiting for someone to return to the car. Or whatever. Those kinds of things can quickly run a tiny stock battery down and strand you. 50 - 100% more capacity will give you some leeway. Some electrical grace, as it were.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,014 Posts
The 2 year old Interstate Megatron battery (MT51R) in our 2011 just gave out. It's over the 24 month free replacement warranty and it'll be about $79 for a new one (prorated). This will be the 3rd battery we replace and I want to try a bigger battery with more CCA to avoid having to replace it every few years.

Has anyone upgraded their battery to something bigger on a 3rd gen CRV? I've read several threads regarding replacement batteries and one mentioned a successful upgrade to a 24F group battery but that was on a 4th gen.
Did what you want to do this past summer. Size 35 batteries are larger and the terminals are in the same orientation as the size 51 are.

Here is the link: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...85770-51-battery-replacement.html#post1453506 &

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
dont buy an interstate battery. that's your biggest problem. Probably the only batteries with worse life span is Walmart batteries. Interstate is garbage, I have bought cars with a brand new on in it and took the battery in for the core and bought house brand stuff from local stores.

Group 24 is nice too fyi, it's what I put in my gen 2

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't want to start another post so I added to this one. We have a 09 CRV the original battery tested weak after 3 1/2 years. So I replaced it with another OEM battery but slightly larger at 500 CCA's. Last fall took it to the dealer for an oil change but mainly for their free safety check. The battery tested fine with over 4 1/2 years on the clock. Just before our recent cold spell of -25°F for 3 days I had them recheck the battery now at 5 years. It tested fine. After the cold spell and with a few more months of winter I replaced it with a Interstate from Costco. It was less expensive at Costco then what it would have been if it had tested bad and if I had replaced the honda battery under their pro rated 100 month warranty. The new interstate is full replacement for 43 months. Our CRV is garaged at night. I have a 04 explorer which sits outside with a 2 1/2 year old Interstate from Costco and so far that has been fine. This is just my experience with OEM Honda batteries, and considering I usually replace @ 5 years I can't complain. We'll see what happens with the Interstate battery.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I didn't want to start another post so I added to this one. We have a 09 CRV the original battery tested weak after 3 1/2 years. So I replaced it with another OEM battery but slightly larger at 500 CCA's. Last fall took it to the dealer for an oil change but mainly for their free safety check. The battery tested fine with over 4 1/2 years on the clock. Just before our recent cold spell of -25°F for 3 days I had them recheck the battery now at 5 years. It tested fine. After the cold spell and with a few more months of winter I replaced it with a Interstate from Costco. It was less expensive at Costco then what it would have been if it had tested bad and if I had replaced the honda battery under their pro rated 100 month warranty. The new interstate is full replacement for 43 months. Our CRV is garaged at night. I have a 04 explorer which sits outside with a 2 1/2 year old Interstate from Costco and so far that has been fine. This is just my experience with OEM Honda batteries, and considering I usually replace @ 5 years I can't complain. We'll see what happens with the Interstate battery.
You live in MN which helps extend battery life. Sizzling hot summers will shorten battery life; more so than cold winters.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If you go to high then the Alt will not charge it any further then its cap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We brought an interstate battery from Costco. The battery sucks. After a year, the battery would only hold charge for 2-3 days. Back when they still carries the house brand Kirkland, the battery lasted much longer. Wound up returning the battery and picked up a champion AGM battery from pep boys. So far so good.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
FYI - For those interested, here's a battery group size chart I swiped off the interwebs:

Text Font Parallel

It's not the whole thing, though I do have the other page, so if anybody needs it just say so here. But I think this covers pretty much all the battery sizes we would need for CR-Vs. Of course, it's highly likely a lot of these may not fit, even with modifications, due to post locations and other issues. But the sizes do show that some are usable and have been mentioned on this forum as being used. The only other considerations are post location, and modifications required for fit. Off hand they include the size 24, 34, 35, etc., and will fit with the Odyssey battery box parts mentioned in other threads.

My stock 51R size battery went down yesterday in my '07, so I am in the process of deciding what I'm going to do. Since I do plan an audio upgrade soon, I want to go ahead and upgrade now if possible, so I'll post on it once I'm done.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Update: Decisions, decisions! Being as how my battery went down suddenly, and I needed a high speed solution, I went ahead yesterday and bought a size 51R (stock) battery. AC Delco, 30-month, 500/640, $122. Issue solved for now. The "old" battery was a AAA Premium, same specs, 3-year, bought new by the previous owner in 7/17, so not a great outcome for that battery. It wasn't dead, but was weak enough to fail to take a full charge. Now I just have to dig out the radio code.

But, this is a temporary fix. With all I've read here, and my experience with this event, I just don't trust the tiny 51R. Also, I will be adding the fog light kit, and some additional interior lighting, and a full audio upgrade, in a couple of months. So I went ahead and ordered the 2014 Odyssey battery box and tray (3531-TK8-A00 and 3521-TK8-A00) from hondapartsnow.com. Prices were $8.71 and $9.74, $29.73 total with (no)tax and shipping. Amazon prices were way higher, like $37 for both, plus tax and shipping. When I do the swap, I will switch to a size 24 battery, which I have verified will fit fine, and give me at least 50% more battery. That should support the extra load and be more reliable. I will do a full thread, with pictures, when I do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts