Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen a post about this before but it led to a dead end, so I figured I’d just ask and see if anybody knows anything.

So, I have a 2008 CR-V FWD and I’m hoping to potentially install a manual transmission. I know the 3rd gens were made with a manual but weren’t available in the states- this at least confirms it’s possible. From what I’ve read on Wikipedia the 3rd gens have the K24A1 engine and the 2nd gens have the K24Z1 (correct me if I’m wrong);I know there were 2nd gens available here.

So my question is: what transmissions would fit on the 3rd gen K24A1? I believe it’s the same as the Civic Si of the same years so would a manual transmission out of that bolt on? Or maybe a 2nd gen CR-V’s?

Right now I’m not looking exactly at how I’d deal with pedal mods to get everything to work- I need to make sure this is feasible before I get into the deep specifics.

Another question: would the manual transmission work with the FWD system or would it all need to be converted to AWD? If it does need to be reworked, how would you go about doing that?

Other than potentially being expensive, is there anything else that might be an issue?

Thanks in advance,
Jonythan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The computers - you may need one from a manual transmission vehicle.
I hadn’t even thought about that- definitely makes things more complex. Thanks for mentioning it!

If the computer does need to be swapped that might make this whole project nearly impossible. My guess is trying to find a computer from a manual will be hard plus actually buying the part and getting it shipped would be a pain.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not just the computer, but the wiring harnesses would be different. At the very least you would need to run wiring and fashion your own harnesses, or try to find a salvage parts vehicle over in Europe that might have all the bits and pieces you needed (ECU, harnesses etc....but even the ECU would be for a different K-series engine and might not operate correctly).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
....in other words, the days of swapping autos for manuals are over.
Very much so. I know a couple of the guys with the Acura TL or CL from the 1999-2003 era did manual swaps, but they were a lot of work even back then. And aside from wanting a manual, a lot of the reason was due to the transmissions that grenaded regularly (back when the 5-speed auto was first introduced on the V6).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yeap you are swapping a manual into a third gen without spending about as much as it's worth due to the list of parts.

Also gen 2 and 2.5 are K24A1 not gen 3 or newer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts