Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering as i need to change my oem tires on my 2010 cr-v ex 4wd soon.

It came with the original 17'' oem alloys with the stock 225/65/17 tires.

Can i upgrade to taller tires for more ground clearance and what are my options without changing my oem alloys ?

Is 235/70/17 a good idea...anybody do this to gain more ground clearance...any rubbing ??

Thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Funny, that is exactly what I will be doing in the spring, getting BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires size 235/70 17. Great "Highway Tire", with a bit of "Off Road grit".

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/rugged-terrain-t-a/tire-details

There will be no rubbing, and you will gain a tad more clearance. Your speedo will be off a tad, but not enough to worry about, nor will it affect your AWD or ABS system.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=225-65r17-235-70r17

I've upsized my previous Gen.1 CRV's without any problems whatsoever. I went from a 205/70 15 to a 225/75 15, and loved the look, and the almost 1" extra ground clearance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rickman, i am thinking also for next spring .
Those BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires look good.
I will be waiting to see pics next spring .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check my old threads I ran a 245/65/17 on my 09 and it did give me more ground clearance and felt better driving...I also put up some pictures

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I love this pic, but I bet those tires are too aggressive/loud for everyday use!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love those tires in that pic Rickman...what size is that ?

Those are not OEM alloys though

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not sure.

Someone with 1 post on this site, and never to be heard from again. I even pm'd the member and never got a reply!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I wish you could get the Original chrome Cragar SS 5 spoke rims for a CRV, but they don't make it in that bolt pattern. I suppose you could shimmy it, but...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
It'll make gas mileage harder to figure out unless you use a gps to track the actual miles traveled. It would probably cut into the mileage too since a larger wheel will be asking the motor to move the car a longer distance per rev of the engine. That'll require more torque and that means you'll use more gas to get going. Once you get going on the flat though it shouldn't be too bad.
Think of it as if you were pedaling a bike. Larger tires would be like putting your bike in a higher than normal gear so you'll have to pedal harder to get the same performance.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts