Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my front shocks for kyb units and they seem pretty easy to install. Would like to replace the back ones. Anyone done the backs and can confirm what needs to be removed to get them out. Are the easier than the fronts or worse

Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
Front and back are strut configurations, so you have to remove the spring along with the strut/shock, so you'll need spring compressors, but otherwise it's just a few bolts for both. I think rear has only 2 bolts, one on top and bottom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, just done the fronts and pretty easy if you can find the right tools. Top nut was a bit of a pig but fairly easy job.

Will look at the backs at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is on-topic for me. Can anybody recommend aftermarket replacement shocks for a 2007 Honda CR-V (2.4L I4 FWD)? I put a set of Bilsteins in a Volvo once and it changed the car into a limousine.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This is on-topic for me. Can anybody recommend aftermarket replacement shocks for a 2007 Honda CR-V (2.4L I4 FWD)? I put a set of Bilsteins in a Volvo once and it changed the car into a limousine.
Just curious. Are you saying that Bilsteins are good shocks?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

There are usually 2 brands for Aftermarket that are good Quality. KYB & Monroes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious. Are you saying that Bilsteins are good shocks?
Yes sir. They made a huge difference on a Volvo 850 I used to own. Bilstein makes shocks for the 2007 CR-V but they’re twice the price of KYBs. I wondering if anybody’s tried Bilsteins on a CR-V and how that worked out.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Bilstein is the Rolls Royce of shocks. They are rebuildable, have various parts available for different configurations, many are adjustable. They are expensive but worth it. No other brand approaches their quality. Have been known to last the life of a car. KYB are good quality Japanese, Monroe are decent consumer level.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Thanks for the information guys! I really appreciate it! I didn't know such things existed. Does the Bilstein greatly improves handling too?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've never tried their passenger car shocks, so I can't say. I can say their racing shocks and off-road shocks are the best. Bilstein is well known for their tunable shocks for road racing, so I'd say yeah.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
OEM Grade Replacement Shocks on a passenger vehicle are not going to make a huge difference in handling from one brand to another. Will be something subtle but what you will experience is life span of the parts. Now if your shocks are blown and not functional then yes you will see a big improvement because you will go back to "like new" suspension performance.

Unless you drive a race car or similar necessity for high performance parts, spending ridiculous money on rear shocks is pointless. Now buying high QUALITY if you plan to keep your vehicle for another 10+ years makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
just bought "quick fit" strut by monroe via the only online parts store worth trusting. Spent 3 weeks chasing down these guys - compared all their competitors via reviews & everyone else are hucksters by comparison. Am a real owner, not a shill. Here's the link for your 2003 front-wheel drive ?? $100 each, free shipping, then my local garage charged $150 to install. Maybe you don't need front & back or maybe you have 4w drive. Whatever, this solution working amazing for me, and the Car ID guys are phenomenal. I chose Monroe performance option so installed $450 - hhope this helps, and please share to this group, Car ID truly deserves the exposure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
rikiretardo
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing