Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a 3rd party head unit in a 2015/2016 crv? Is it even possible to install one? I was thinking of getting one to add carplay, and I was wondering what functionality would be lost by doing that. These head units (at least one of them) claim to have external support for cameras, so that shouldn't be lost (although I don't know how they would know the position of the steering wheel, so the projected lines probably would not be able to curve.) I assume I would also lose the steering wheel volume control. What else would be lost? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm interested in this question also. I have 2013 CRV.

In my research on a aftermarket HU, It is definitely possible and it is suppose to be very easy to do swap out:
1) The Backup Camera does not matter because the 4th Gen has a separate Screen. I assume we split the Video feed so it goes to HU also. This is if you want a bigger screen.
2) There's a module that will convert the steering wheel control to the correct HU. I assume some of the feature will be lost here but don't know what. It probable depends on the Module and the aftermarket HU.
3) Not sure if the factory radio also links to the CPU or the brains of the car which display the Odometer and things like that. All that info are displayed on the screen above the factory radio. I assume it will still display everything.

Hope this helps and if anybody else can share their experience on which Aftermarket Radio they have, it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

If someone can provide us with the mapping of the harness wire, it would be useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm interested in this question also. I have 2013 CRV.

In my research on a aftermarket HU, It is definitely possible and it is suppose to be very easy to do swap out:
1) The Backup Camera does not matter because the 4th Gen has a separate Screen. I assume we split the Video feed so it goes to HU also. This is if you want a bigger screen.
2) There's a module that will convert the steering wheel control to the correct HU. I assume some of the feature will be lost here but don't know what. It probable depends on the Module and the aftermarket HU.
3) Not sure if the factory radio also links to the CPU or the brains of the car which display the Odometer and things like that. All that info are displayed on the screen above the factory radio. I assume it will still display everything.

Hope this helps and if anybody else can share their experience on which Aftermarket Radio they have, it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

If someone can provide us with the mapping of the harness wire, it would be useful.
Disregard my comment on the Rear camera. It seem like there's a lot of mis-information
But it looks like this is a good place to start of what is working and what is not. But since I can't post links I have to post it like this:
www (dot) crvownersclub (dot) com (slash) forums (slash) 20-mobile-electronics (slash) 44857-i-mid-after-aftermarket-installation.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,
I just posted my experience with a HU install. All the adapters I used for retention and how it worked out for me is in the post. I can't link yet, so just click my name and view my posts. I don't have many so it should be easy to find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a Sony XAV-AX5000. The headunit supports custom mapping of buttons. For example you can custom map "volume up" on the steering wheel to register as "next track" on the head unit. It also supports up to two video sources for rear view and blind spot cameras.

Best of luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts