Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to buy new tires for my new (to me) 2005 CR-V AWD. My front tires are worn almost to the bars, while the rear tires look to have around 4 or 5/32 left. My full size spare has an un-repairable gash.

I'm considering the following options:

1. Replace front tires only (most likely with used tires, if I can find a decent pair). I would then use one of the old front tires as my spare.
2. Replace front and rear tires (with new tires). I would then use one of the old rear tires as my spare.
3. Replace front and rear tires along with spare, and use a 5 tire rotation.

The tire shops all tell me that I need to replace all 4 tires because of the AWD. The manual recommends replacing all 4 at the same time, but says replacing only two tires is acceptable (although the manual might be referencing the 2-wheel drive models).

It seems to me that the tires would last longer in a 5 tire rotation (including the spare). It also seems that it would be a better use of my spare tire, rather than having it sit out in the sun degrading without any use. I also figured that with a 5 tire rotation keeping the spare evenly worn, if I were to have another un-repairable flat, I could replace it with the spare (which should have similar wear to the other tires) and buy just a single tire to replace my spare (I would switch to a 4 tire rotation at that point).

Does anyone have experience with a 5 tire rotation? Both my mechanic and the tire shop seemed rather unenthused by the idea, neither encouraging nor discouraging me from trying it. Is a 5 tire rotation worth it? Or should I just get 4 tires and leave my spare on the back unless needed (in which case I would need to replace 2 or 4 tires if I got an un-repairable flat)?

I would love to hear any opinions you might have. I'm hoping to buy tires in the next week so I can take advantage of Costco's discount on Michelins. Should I buy 4 or 5 tires (or perhaps only 2)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
First off your 2005 is not AWD. It is automatic 4wd.

However yes replacing all 4 is advised. You cannot let the tread depth be that different between the front vs the rear.

Don't do a 5 tire rotation because your tires will end up all out of wack for tread depth.

Just buy 4 new tires and put the best old one as the spare and done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I agree. Buy 4 and use the best 'old' one as the spare. Can you get a cover to keep it out of the sun?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Tigris99, I trust you on the car being automatic 4wd...I honestly don't know the difference (though I do understand the Honda system is not full-time like a Subaru AWD...I'm guessing that has something to do with it?). I just called it AWD because that's what the mechanics have told me.

20CRVEX13, Yes, I do have a spare tire cover, albiet not a very nice one. I figure it should get the job done until it gets ripped up.

My worry about getting only 4 tires: if I get an unrepairable flat, would I need to buy 4 new tires? Would replacing 2 tires be fine at that point (assuming the rest of the tires had plenty of tread left)? Do tire road hazard warranties (like the one from Costco) cover replacement of all 4 tires if only 1 is damaged? I like the idea of having a spare tire with similar tread wear to the rest of my tires as a safety to prevent this...I'm just not sure it's worth it (and it sounds like you both agree that it's not).

On another note, does it matter where I put the spare tire if I get a flat (front or rear)?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If your rotating the 4 new tires as needed then it won't be a big deal but you would need to buy 2 if the old tires are fairly worn down (half tread or less left) then you could replace the older pair when they get down to needing replaced just don't rotate the new front pair to the back until your ready to replace the 2 older ones off the back.

Simple difference between 4wd and all wheel drive. All wheel drive mean the vehicle has power from the engine being transmitted to all 4 wheels at all times but it's not equal. The unequal power distribution is what differentiates AWD from old school full time 4 wheel drive (power wagons and such)

Crvs are just like a 4wd truck except the CRV engages the back wheels only when needed (front wheels start spinning). Basically just automatic 4wd. The rear differential is also the transfer case. So essentially just a front wheel drive vehicle with the ability to engage the back wheels (opposite of a pick up).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, Tigris99. To confirm, if I have 1 tire fail (while the rest still have over half tread remaining), I can just replace two tires...But then would not rotate the tires (at least not front to rear)? If this were to happen and I put the new tires on the front, would I wait until the front tires were worn to the same degree as the rear tires before rotating? Hopefully none of my tires will fail, and I won't have to worry about any of this.

Regarding your explanation of AWD vs. automatic 4wd, does this mean that when the CR-V does send power to all 4 wheels, it is sending EQUAL power to all 4 wheels (as you said the old-school full-time 4wd does)? Is there a difference between automatic 4wd and part-time AWD?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you have over 1/2 tread or so left, replacing one won't really hurt anything. If you have 1/2 tread or LESS then replace both (and put new on the front). That's what I did with my 2003 and drove for 8 months like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts