Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2014 CR-V has just over 41,000 miles on the original tires.
A couple years ago I ran over something and blew out the right front tire. The dealer I took it too replaced the unrepairable tire by taking a matching tire off of a CR-V on their lot. And I should mention that I'm pretty zealous about regular tire rotations.

So I have receipt from my local dealer (not the one that got me the replacement tire) dated January 8, 2019 where they did an oil and filter change, plus rotated the tires, road tested it, and checked the tread depth.

The report shows both front tires had 4/32's of tread, and the rears had 5/32's.

Today I checked the rear tires using a US quarter. You insert it so Washington's head is against the tire. If any part of his head is covered you have at least 4/32's of tread. Obviously his head was showing and there was a small gap between his head and the tread.

So it's time to shop for new tires, which means the original tires lasted 41,000 miles (about 66,000 kms)! :D

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I've had 40k on original OEM tires, but they were in really sad shape by then! Last new V I owned was the '97, though, so the originals were some sort of General tire. I think the first replacement I bought was the Yokohama Geolandar H/T with white sidewall lettering, which looked good, but treadwear wasn't much better.

I put more miles/years on a set of Toyo Extensas that I bought in 2010, replacing them in 2016, but treadlife was the only good part about them. They reminded me of Michelins--they rode like cement donuts, and the grip was awful. First gen CR-V...I could spin the front tires at half throttle on wet pavement, or sometimes at full throttle if there was debris on concrete. (This was when I had the driveshaft out, but wet traction was dangerous even with the driveshaft back in place since all four wheels could break loose in the right conditions!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts