Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

41.8 MPG to Key West

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  BuzzWinny 
#1 ·
Was very happy with my gas milage from Fort Lauderdale to Key West last Friday in my 2017 CRV-EX. Pic attached

See less See more
#2 ·
That’s awesome......good to see someone else using “ECO” mode.?

Reactions: BuzzWinny
#3 ·
Don't believe those "instantaneous" displayed numbers. To get a greater understanding of your actual MPG you need to hand calculate them, preferably over several hundred miles.

An even better refinement is to hand calculate them tank to tank.

To eliminate the drudgery of this get a free account with Fuelly.com and routinely log your fill-ups. Below are my MPGs over 7900 miles.

#4 ·
Don't believe those "instantaneous" displayed numbers. To get a greater understanding of your actual MPG you need to hand calculate them, preferably over several hundred miles.

An even better refinement is to hand calculate them tank to tank.

To eliminate the drudgery of this get a free account with Fuelly.com and routinely log your fill-ups. Below are my MPGs over 7900 miles.
Thanks for the comments and information.

My trip was about 3.5 hours and the "live" mpg is nice to let me know how my driving is affecting the mpg for that particular trip. However, I wish average speed was displayed.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I did hand calculated mpg numbers for about the 1st 6 months. Worst calculated mpg was 1/2 mpg below the dash display. Most of the time calculated was within 1-2 tenths of the numbers displayed. I quit doing the calculations......displayed numbers are close enough.

The rare 7 hour road trips I take are 75-80 mph. doesn't quite get 41.8 mpg at those speeds.

Reactions: BuzzWinny
#7 · (Edited)
I did hand calculated mpg numbers for about the 1st 6 months. Worst calculated mpg was 1/2 mpg below the dash display. Most of the time calculated was within 1-2 tenths of the numbers displayed. I quit doing the calculations......displayed numbers are close enough.
The rare 7 hour road trips I take are 75-80 mph. doesn't quite get 41.8 mpg at those speeds.

I hate to be contrary but I don't believe it. I always use the eco mode, I drive like the grandpa that I am (generally within the posted speed limits), I only traverse generally flat land - thru unincorporated areas, with properly inflated tires. While there are others bettering my results I am still within the top percent of users who religiously (accurately) track their usage.

My honest MPG figures are shown below, using 87 octane, with the crappy ethonol additive.
In fairness, this is with my 2.4L motor, not the 1.5 version, but I don't believe the increase would be that significant.

#8 ·
.............I hate to be contrary but I don't believe it. I always use the eco mode, I drive like the grandpa that I am (generally within the posted speed limits), I only traverse generally flat land - thru unincorporated areas, with properly inflated tires. While there are others bettering my results I am still within the top percent of users who religiously (accurately) track their usage........
Believe what?.......that I don't get 41.8 mpg at 75-80 mph?

#9 ·
One of the most important issues here is that about 2/3 of the trip described, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Key West, Florida is on the Overseas Highway, with speed limits of 45 MPH to 55 MPH.

slower speeds = higher mileage

Ft. Lauderdale to Florida City, Florida where the Overseas Highway begins = 64 miles (~103 km)
Florida City to Key West = 126 miles (~203 km)

BTW the word Key is derived from the Spanish word Cayo, meaning small island.

#11 · (Edited)
While I admit I could be wrong I stand by my assertion, I don't believe you are getting that kind of mileage.
How many miles and how many gal. of fuel? Then repeat over several tanks and recompute.

This is stolen from Fuelly.com, where you can verify if you wish:
Based on data from 436 vehicles, 24,877 fuel-ups and 7,054,627 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda CR-V gets a combined Avg MPG of 28.30 with a 0.06 MPG margin of error.

#13 ·
Apples and oranges there.

His trip was not a combined mileage trip at all. It was a casual highway trip at 45-55 mph, on flat terrain, with almost no stop and go situations. He could easily have gotten over 40 mpg in those particular circumstances.

Ever made a trip from the west coast of Florida down to Key West? It is almost ideal mpg conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.