Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the mountains and do a ton of driving in snow and on sharp granite rocks getting to climbing, skiing, and mountain biking destinations. I definitely don't need a full-on overlanding rig, just something with more traction and durability for peace of mind on snow and jagged rocks. All-seasons aren't cutting it.

It seems like very few people are putting all terrains on 4th gen CR-Vs. Does anyone have any experience with beefier AT tires and smaller, aftermarket wheels on a 4th gen without a lift? Recommendation on tire/wheel combos, effects on gas mileage, premature wear on drivetrain/suspension, etc?

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It’s always best to stay as close as possible to the stock tire diameter.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
4th gen is not designed for that use anymore. Gen 3 was the begining of the death of offroad capability for CRVs.

What your doing to it is doing the damage, tire change wont cause issues. But driving it on that terrain regularly expect things to fail a lot sooner than it would for most.

you dont need a lift if you simply use an all terrain tire thats the same (or only slightly larger) size as current stock tire size. Usually you can get by with 3-5% size increase without rubbing issues.

Larger tires will cost a little gas mileage, all terrains will cost even more. For highway driving it can became rather noticeable because All terrain tires are not designed for efficiency or anywhere close to it. 10% loss pretty easily going simply all terrain tires. Large diameter can go a bit higher, bigger the tire the more mpg loss.

But simply changing wheels and tires to something with better tread (and about same size as original tires) will hurt absolutely nothing except the gas mileage loss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,757 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The word "larger", when referencing to stock tire size, is so loosley used much to often. Either taller or wider (than stock) mean "larger". Again, it’s always best to stay as close as possible to the stock tire diameter. Diameter is the more important number of the 2.

What is the stock tire diameter of a 4th Gen?.....try to stay as close as possible to that number.:nod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4th gen is not designed for that use anymore. Gen 3 was the begining of the death of offroad capability for CRVs.

What your doing to it is doing the damage, tire change wont cause issues. But driving it on that terrain regularly expect things to fail a lot sooner than it would for most.

you dont need a lift if you simply use an all terrain tire thats the same (or only slightly larger) size as current stock tire size. Usually you can get by with 3-5% size increase without rubbing issues.

Larger tires will cost a little gas mileage, all terrains will cost even more. For highway driving it can became rather noticeable because All terrain tires are not designed for efficiency or anywhere close to it. 10% loss pretty easily going simply all terrain tires. Large diameter can go a bit higher, bigger the tire the more mpg loss.

But simply changing wheels and tires to something with better tread (and about same size as original tires) will hurt absolutely nothing except the gas mileage loss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated.

My current tires are 225/65/r17. If I can fit a 16 inch rim, it looks like a 245/70/r16 would only be a 3.5% increase in rolling circumference.

I'm really just trying to justify keeping my CR-V (which I own outright and is an excellent daily driver for 75% of my driving, but has terrible ground clearance and generally comical off-road ability) vs. going through the hassle and expense of buying a Subaru (which would be better in the snow and on rutted-out fire roads).

But if putting A/Ts on the CR-V is going to drop me down from roughly 28 mpg to 23-24 highway mpg compared to a Crosstrek's or Forester's 32 mpg, maybe the writing is on the wall. California gas prices could eliminate the money saved by sticking with the CR-V rather quickly.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How about a 255/65/16?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts