Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Again: IT IS NOT FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, IT IS ALL WHEEL DRIVE, WHICH IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

There is no such thing as a 4WD CR-V. This is starting to sound like an argument on Monty Python! So - Bring us a shrubbery, and make it a good one!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Can you explain then why the CX-5 has no issue with passing this test? Why, yes, I can. But again, do your own research. You seem to be implying that only 4WD vehicles are able to. No, you're just assuming that.
Once you have completed your own research to a sufficient degree, you will have answered these questions for yourself. Until then, you still won't understand the answers, which have already been provided. :Darn:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
You are correct. I have already done plenty of research and understand why your blatant statement is false. I was just hoping you would prove me wrong by providing some more of your divine wisdom. Once again, I'm left disappointed.
I have made no false statement, and I am not responsible for your intellectual or emotional well-being. But I do wish you all the best in your endeavor to persevere.

Meanwhile, my AWD is working just fine.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
It's kind of funny, really, but I find that those that simply dismiss questions without offering any real help are usually those that CANNOT answer the question. Those that are asking an honest question are being gaslighted....
It is funny, that you make that inference with no possible way to back it up, and then misuse a big word like gaslighting as a follow-up. By the way, what is a dishonest question?

To me, it's a question asked by someone who is perfectly capable of finding the answer on his own, but is not motivated enough to do the work, so he will ask you to do it for him. A perfect example of modern education. It's why we have whole generations of college graduates who cannot spell. My point being that, if he actually knew how to learn, he would not need to ask.

Still, kudos on providing the turnkey information, which provides another redundant issue of it. Which doesn't demean you, or the information itself, it just provides another set of Cliff Notes. Like a calculator in math class. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
No, it's not full time locked center differential 4WD. We get that. But the idea of AWD is that it should manage to engage the rear wheels when conditions call for it.

On the Honda and Toyota systems, the vehicles are in FWD mode most of the time. The drive shaft to the rear spins, but it is not coupled to the differential itself until needed in the interest of fuel economy and wear. Wheel speed sensors and computer control should monitor front wheel slip and on demand engage the electromagnetic clutch to bring the rear wheels on line. Yes, there will be a delay, but it should eventually work!

I find this result to be disappointing. Granted I'm used to the Subaru system, which like Audi does port some torque to the rears all the time in varying proportions via a transmission tail shaft clutch. Still, I bought my kid a CR-V believing that it would do what it's supposed to when needed.

So what am I missing? How is this video false? What conditions would satisfy the computer monitoring system and engage the rear diffy clutch??
I gotcha. Let me go back to page one with you and see if I can explain my response: The reason the test video is invalid is that the test bed does not give the CR-V's computer indication of slippage, which is why it doesn't engage. Wheel slippage is inconsistent, non-linear, and uneven. The computer takes data from all four wheels to determine when it exceeds the set parameters in terms of a recognizable pattern. The test bed does not provide those conditions in a way that convinces the computer. If it did, the system would activate. If you think of it in terms of ABS, this test bed would provide a similar result, because it would not provide data that would activate the ABS braking. So, my question to you would be this: How would you modify the test bed to make that happen? I can't say, but I'm not sure that particular arrangement could be. I would definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on that, and I'm sure we all would be.

The reason I replied as I did back on page one was that I know that there are about a hunnert & eighty- seven bazillion YouTube videos that, instead of showing a questionable test bed, show the system working, in real world conditions, just fine. Which, to me, shows clearly that the test bed is inadequate to the job. Well, that plus the fact that this entire discussion was posted in another thread just a couple of months back, with the same information given, except for the video in this one.

Fair enough! What I really don't like? Mean spirited people and rude replies....

Look, I'm a moderator on other AutoGuide car boards. I handle things differently. You'll note that I ask very few questions. I research, and am usually the one ANSWERING questions.

But I also know that many can't, or even if they had access to Japanese journals and patent databases would never understand what they read. To me, tech questions are better than Sudoku. If I don't want to respond, I leave it alone. If I find it interesting, I'll engage and yes, dive deep and do my homework to draw an informed response.

I didn't like the answers to Mike and others, so I hit back on their behalf. I was on my last company's Automotive Council, and had resources at my fingertips. Plus conference discussions. It's great getting to have lunch with an engineering director at a major European mark to talk tech, and then be able to bring that to a chat board.
My replies were not intended to be rude or mean, and I was not the only critic to voice my opinion. I was simply voicing my opinion that the poster would be well advised to learn more before he took the video at face value. But I will take your point that I could have been more diplomatic. As could you have also been in your reply to me. However, I am not unappreciative of your contribution to the thread, in fact the opposite is true, and I did specifically say that. I will also concede to a lack of patience and diplomatic ability that would make me a poor moderator. That comes from a lifetime of training folks in skills that could get them killed if they didn't get it right. So I kind of have a tendency to expect folks to use their heads for something besides a hat rack. But then I grew up in a world where that was expected of everyone, which is not the world we live in now. That said, this thread did develop into something beneficial, which is on you. So, thanks!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Some of us responded that there are other vehicles that pass this test that are not 4WD. I've owned several 4WD and AWD vehicles throughout my driving life, so I'm quite aware of the differences. Your reply came across as someone that may need to do some research.

Fibber2 adds one of the best posts I've ever seen in this forum and you criticize him for it?
I didn't say you weren't, and I also didn't criticize Fibber2's post. :confused2:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Official explanation from Honda regarding a similar test on rollers:
-----------------------

Honda’s AWD system uses a compact, lightweight and fuel efficient rear differential. Due to this construction, certain torque limits are set to enable the unit to perform effectively in real world conditions, while not exceeding the overall strength of the unit.

In real world conditions, regardless of the surface, some amount of friction is available to both front and rear wheels. The AWD system allocates driving torque to the front and rear wheels in order to achieve the best possible driving force, whilst keeping within the torque limits of the rear differential.

In the roller test shown this time, the front wheels have zero friction and the rear wheels have unlimited grip, therefore if all available torque required to move the vehicle uphill was transferred to the rear differential, the torque limit of the unit would be exceeded. Because the torque is limited as described above, the vehicle will not climb the slope in this test condition.
If the vehicle is continued to operate in this condition (front wheels spinning and rear wheels stationary) after some time the system detects high slip and reduces the available torque to the rear wheels to prevent overheating and therefore the vehicle moves back down the slope.

Again, in real world conditions, this situation is highly unlikely. Normally front and rear wheels will be spinning to a similar degree, therefore front or rear slip is small and overheat protection will not be required.

Therefore our opinion is that the CR-V Realtime AWD system performance cannot be verified using this type of test and the result is as expected from the system. However as we demonstrated on 26th March 2013 at Harads together with Teknikens Värld, the actual performance of the system in real world conditions was “very effective”.

--------------

-Please put this thread to rest.
Thanks for this! If anything can put this thread to rest, your post should be able to do the trick!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I agree with Fibber2. I live in Texas, where the likelihood of needing it for snow and ice is slim, but I see it as being like a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If it saves you once, then it was worth it. I learned a valuable lesson when I was a kid, when one of my teachers was on summer vacation in Arizona. He was alone and got stuck in some sand, off-road, too far off the beaten path, and died before anyone found him. Not enough spare water, and not enough vehicle. Extreme? Yes. But it's never not better to learn from the mistakes of others. I still miss that guy, he was a great teacher, and only 26 when it happened. Just one little mistake. But it made an indelible impression on me.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I live deep in the mountains where there are still a good amount of unpaved and unimproved roads. I frequently encounter ruts, mud and snow. My 2016 AWD handles it all without complaining or having any issues. If you want a SUV or CUV, get AWD but if you only want or need a station wagon, get a FWD.
I've often wondered, over the years, about that term "station wagon." I understand the wagon part, but where's the station? Is this an Australian term?

Just kidding. But still. :confused2::confused2:

Maybe this has to do with gas mileage? Like my F250 4X4 with a 460, which will pass anything but the next gas station. Maybe I should call it a station pickup?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
It was the wagon used to pick people up from the train station.
From horse and buggy days.

Be nice to see Station wagons or Estates as they call them in England come back.
Very nice, in fact. My just about all time favorite (and best) car was my '91 Civic Wagon. I loved that car. It's why I have the CR-V now. I just don't get their reasoning for discontinuing them. Them and Toyota both, as Toyota stopped making the Corolla wagons too. Those Civic wagons were so popular that there is a cult of their owners still around right now.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I was talking about the late '80's to mid-'90's or so. There were some gaps. The Corolla wagon is very cool! I did have a corolla in the mid-80's - great car, gave me good service till I got hit by a drunk. Got a Doge Colt, and it got hit by a drunk. Two in a row. Aargh! I would love a Subaru, as long as it had a manual transmission, their automatics are no good. They are otherwise great cars. Toyota brought the wagons back, but Honda didn't, dangit. But they should.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Yeah, Honda dropped the wagon for the tenth generation (current). The ninth generation Civic wagon is pretty cool, with a huge trunk space due to the missing spare wheel well. I did do a test drive but ended up buying something else.
My spare was in the floor, just like the one in my CR-V now. It had automatic seat belts, too - a novel concept. I never could decide if I liked them or not, until the car was gone, and then I missed them.

What is that photo, a concept car?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Also the other way around. We didn't get the Civic coupé after the seventh generation (past 2005). Or the Element, or the Pilot, or the Ridgeline, or the Odyssey.

Or the Crosstourer.
Or the thing that aggravates me the most - no manual transmissions. Add in the CVT, which is adding insult to injury, and Honda loses me as a new car buyer ever. They have engineered themselves right out of the realm of common sense, IMO. They no longer make anything I would consider desirable, let alone not fraught with problems. The only Hondas I would buy now are older ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.