Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I agree with Fibber2. I live in Texas, where the likelihood of needing it for snow and ice is slim, but I see it as being like a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If it saves you once, then it was worth it. I learned a valuable lesson when I was a kid, when one of my teachers was on summer vacation in Arizona. He was alone and got stuck in some sand, off-road, too far off the beaten path, and died before anyone found him. Not enough spare water, and not enough vehicle. Extreme? Yes. But it's never not better to learn from the mistakes of others. I still miss that guy, he was a great teacher, and only 26 when it happened. Just one little mistake. But it made an indelible impression on me.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,567 Posts
The Gen-5 CR-V AWD system introduced in 2017 addresses some of these concerns. A higher torque percentage is available to each wheel both by rear differential hardware and the electronic control system combined with VSC. Overall capability appears to be substantially increased, and will likely meet the challenges of anything you might encounter on real roads or mild off-road conditions. It's still mainly reactive, with the rears largely along for the ride most of the time. It's still a front driver with power to the rear (but more of it) when conditions call for it. It's still not a Subaru or Audi, but it should serve your needs just fine while offering superior fuel economy and operating efficiency. If you like the CR-V (and my experience in a 2018 and 2019 was very positive) and will occasionally go on dirt, I'd say buy the AWD. The purchase price, maintenance and overall operating cost will be slightly higher, but still probably worth it.
I agree that the Gen-5 AWD feels and operates in a more refined manner then prior generations (I've owned Gen-2 and Gen-3, and now a Gen-5).

For owners of Gen-5 CRVs.. there is a display option on the instrument panel that will display dynamically the torgue levels on the wheels so you can see the AWD system in real time. It displays the amount of torque in the form of forward arrows on each wheel. For example, when you accelerate from a dead stop at an intersection, the system will initially put noticable torque to both front and rear wheels. As you let off the accelerator, you can see the torque drop down to essentially zero on the rear wheels on a dry smooth surface as you reach road speed.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I can't believe this thread is still going.

My 2003 with no traction control or anything had 0 issues in over a foot of snow. Pulled other vehicles out and out handled many in the worst conditions winter threw at us this year. Was a bad winter.

No fancy AWD system etc is going to compensate for having the right tires for the job. It helps, but tires matter more. Accept it and move on.

These morons on YouTube need to get a job to something because they don't have a clue half the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I live deep in the mountains where there are still a good amount of unpaved and unimproved roads. I frequently encounter ruts, mud and snow. My 2016 AWD handles it all without complaining or having any issues. If you want a SUV or CUV, get AWD but if you only want or need a station wagon, get a FWD.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I live deep in the mountains where there are still a good amount of unpaved and unimproved roads. I frequently encounter ruts, mud and snow. My 2016 AWD handles it all without complaining or having any issues. If you want a SUV or CUV, get AWD but if you only want or need a station wagon, get a FWD.
I've often wondered, over the years, about that term "station wagon." I understand the wagon part, but where's the station? Is this an Australian term?

Just kidding. But still. :confused2::confused2:

Maybe this has to do with gas mileage? Like my F250 4X4 with a 460, which will pass anything but the next gas station. Maybe I should call it a station pickup?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,139 Posts
I've often wondered, over the years, about that term "station wagon." I understand the wagon part, but where's the station? Is this an Australian term?

Just kidding. But still. :confused2::confused2:

Maybe this has to do with gas mileage? Like my F250 4X4 with a 460, which will pass anything but the next gas station. Maybe I should call it a station pickup?
It was the wagon used to pick people up from the train station.
From horse and buggy days.

Be nice to see Station wagons or Estates as they call them in England come back.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
It was the wagon used to pick people up from the train station.
From horse and buggy days.

Be nice to see Station wagons or Estates as they call them in England come back.
Very nice, in fact. My just about all time favorite (and best) car was my '91 Civic Wagon. I loved that car. It's why I have the CR-V now. I just don't get their reasoning for discontinuing them. Them and Toyota both, as Toyota stopped making the Corolla wagons too. Those Civic wagons were so popular that there is a cult of their owners still around right now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh boy.... Time to open Pandora's Box.

I'm a fan of Station Wagons. Purchased new in 1990: Camry LE V6 wagon and new in 1993: Corolla DX wagon. But then wagons became scarce. What to do? If we define a modern "Station Wagon" as a "3 box sedan" that forgoes a fixed back window and trunk lid for a squared-of tail (2 box), then one car maker still makes them.
My new purchase in 2001: a 2002 Subaru Outback (Legacy sedan ==> Legacy wagon ==> 2.5" raised suspension = Outback wagon). New purchase in 2013: A 2014 Subaru Outback (still a wagon version of the Legacy sedan).

I know.... Some Subaru folks will insist that it's an SUV because that's what the EPA classifies it as. Either way, they ride and drive like a great car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh boy.... Time to open Pandora's Box.

I'm a fan of Station Wagons. Purchased new in 1990: Camry LE V6 wagon and new in 1993: Corolla DX wagon. But then wagons became scarce. What to do? If we define a modern "Station Wagon" as a "3 box sedan" that forgoes a fixed back window and trunk lid for a squared-of tail (2 box), then one car maker still makes them.
My new purchase in 2001: a 2002 Subaru Outback (Legacy sedan ==> Legacy wagon ==> 2.5" raised suspension = Outback wagon). New purchase in 2013: A 2014 Subaru Outback (still a wagon version of the Legacy sedan).

I know.... Some Subaru folks will insist that it's an SUV because that's what the EPA classifies it as. Either way, they ride and drive like a great car.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I was talking about the late '80's to mid-'90's or so. There were some gaps. The Corolla wagon is very cool! I did have a corolla in the mid-80's - great car, gave me good service till I got hit by a drunk. Got a Doge Colt, and it got hit by a drunk. Two in a row. Aargh! I would love a Subaru, as long as it had a manual transmission, their automatics are no good. They are otherwise great cars. Toyota brought the wagons back, but Honda didn't, dangit. But they should.

·
Moderate
2,523 Posts
Toyota brought the wagons back, but Honda didn't, dangit. But they should.
Yeah, Honda dropped the wagon for the tenth generation (current). The ninth generation Civic wagon is pretty cool, with a huge trunk space due to the missing spare wheel well. I did do a test drive but ended up buying something else.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto show Honda

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Yeah, Honda dropped the wagon for the tenth generation (current). The ninth generation Civic wagon is pretty cool, with a huge trunk space due to the missing spare wheel well. I did do a test drive but ended up buying something else.
My spare was in the floor, just like the one in my CR-V now. It had automatic seat belts, too - a novel concept. I never could decide if I liked them or not, until the car was gone, and then I missed them.

What is that photo, a concept car?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.