Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for our '13 EX's change out of the radiator coolant. Hard to believe it's 5 yrs old already, but it is.

Does anyone here know if you have to remove the plastic under tray to drain the fluid?

I don't really want to deal with catching the old fluid and disposing of it, but, I may have to based on the prices I've gotten from the dealer to do the job.

Any 'How to' advice would be appreciated too. I haven't changed radiator fluid in a long, long time. I seem to remember one car having a bleed screw right near the thermostat housing though. Still true?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently performed a coolant drain/refill on my 2010 CRV w/104k miles. On mine, there was a cutout below the white plastic drain valve. Since this was my first time doing this, beforehand I watched an excellent YT video (link) by Big Dog50001. Using the recommended Lisle Spill Free funnel #24680 (AMZN) made the task easy-peasy. Got the coolant from AMZN as well. Also performed a 1X ATF drain/refill and changed the sparks plugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GRK4LUwj8

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just what I needed, @seaghost. Thanks for the help.
I was surprised by a couple of things. First, draining the coolant cold, second, he didn't mention turning the heater to 'hot' before draining the system.
You're right, that funnel looks like the way to go. Since I've got two cars that need the service, I think I'll get the funnel and the coolant on-line too. Can't beat that price around here and free shipping too, works for me.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What a piece of cake job this turned out to be.

Hardest part was getting the petcock drain undone as my arm would not go between the fans and engine so had to GET DOWN ON MY KNEES to loosen it.

I'm glad I got the funnel too. Took forever to get the engine warm to the point the cooling fans would cycle, even with the heater blower turned off. That funnel helps with the 'burping' a lot.

Got it all back together and took it for a quick spin. Cool as a cucumber.
Now on to the Accord!

I attached a really poor picture of how I'm marking the overflow tanks so it's easier to read them.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,167 Posts
^^^ I do that too. I've enjoyed coloring since Kindergarten. :eek:

As I've said in the past, an easier way to get the fans to work, is to run the engine for 10 minutes, THEN TURN IT OFF. After 5 minutes, the t-stat will open and then most of the air will purge when the engine is restarted. Then, the fans work as normal.

That Break Time is a good opportunity to crack open an Adult Beverage. :banana:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts