Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reached 50,000 with my 2017 Honda CRV. Couple of updates:

Hondata Reflash
I did a Hondata reflash at 17K miles - no issues so far. Since the reflash the car is quicker and gas millage has been 30 to 34 MPG measured at the tank.

Tires
Replaced the stock Bridgestone’s with Michelin Premier A/S tires at 30K miles. I could not stand the noise level. The Bridgestone’s probably had another 15K of tread life. The Michelin Premier A/S are much much quieter, but they are one of the most expensive tires you can buy for the CRV.

Engine Oil
I did the 48K service myself and used Amsoil engine oil. First the engine is notably quieter with the Amsoil versus the stock Honda oil.
Second I found that he dealer was overfilling the crankcase - The oil level was always where the orange plastic joined the metal part of the dipstick – not at the high level oil mark. At first, I thought I had gas in the oil – it turned out that it was a overfilled crankcase.

Transmission Oil
I also changed the transmission oil early with Amsoil at the 48K miles. The transmission was making a whining noise. Now it is quiet like new. The transmission also made the same noise just before the 30K transmission oil change.

Intake Valves Cleaned
I also cleaned the intake valves at the 48K mile service with CRC Intake valve cleaner. Direct injection cars carbon over the intake valves which can cause stalling, rough idle, and, poor gas millage in higher millage cars. I did notice a smoother idle and a slight increase in gas mileage (about 1 MPG), but I also changed to Amsoil engine oil and changed the air filter – so I am not sure if the intake valve cleaner caused the difference.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What cvt fluid did you use at 30k change?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sweet, I’m at 26k. Would probably be around 32k plus if it wasn’t for two accidents that kept it away from me for almost 2 and a half months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
OP said Amsoil.
I thought he changed at 48k miles with Amsoil. That's why i asked about 30k fluid change. Just wanted to know what is good/bad for future. :)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hopefully someone will get a visual inspection of the intake valves at +50k miles.

Would be nice to see if they are actually getting substantial build up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow! I have a 2017 AWD Touring and I just had my first oil change at 7K miles :) Great to see that the Hondata Reflash is working out well. That may be something I don in the future. Although.... we were shopping in our local mall this last weekend and there was an Alfa Romero Stelvio that my wife told me that I needed to buy :) Not quite ready to give up the CRV but the Alfa sure did look good in person.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Is the Amsoil CVT fluid cheaper than OEM? I have another 11K miles before I change the CVT fluid is my Civic for the second time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you using synthetic? I was surprised that they didn't specify synthetic as standard. Just that it's OK to use. I would think that the heat generated by the turbo would be better dealt with using synthetic oil. I drive very little as a senior in FL. 2018 Touring 2 months old with just 1100 miles. I check the oil every week. So far, no sign of rising level.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Are you using synthetic? I was surprised that they didn't specify synthetic as standard. Just that it's OK to use. I would think that the heat generated by the turbo would be better dealt with using synthetic oil. I drive very little as a senior in FL. 2018 Touring 2 months old with just 1100 miles. I check the oil every week. So far, no sign of rising level.
It's pretty difficult to find 0w20 that isn't synthetic, I believe.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's pretty difficult to find 0w20 that isn't synthetic, I believe.
You would be, correct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! I have a 2017 AWD Touring and I just had my first oil change at 7K miles :) Great to see that the Hondata Reflash is working out well. That may be something I don in the future. Although.... we were shopping in our local mall this last weekend and there was an Alfa Romero Stelvio that my wife told me that I needed to buy :) Not quite ready to give up the CRV but the Alfa sure did look good in person.
Stay away from Italian cars. They don't have good opinion here in Europe. Japanese cars are way better and don't break down as much as Italian ones. Just saying.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Hondata Reflash
I did a Hondata reflash at 17K miles - no issues so far. Since the reflash the car is quicker and gas millage has been 30 to 34 MPG measured at the tank.

Tires
Replaced the stock Bridgestone’s with Michelin Premier A/S tires at 30K miles. I could not stand the noise level. The Bridgestone’s probably had another 15K of tread life. The Michelin Premier A/S are much much quieter, but they are one of the most expensive tires you can buy for the CRV.

Engine Oil
I did the 48K service myself and used Amsoil engine oil. First the engine is notably quieter with the Amsoil versus the stock Honda oil.
Second I found that he dealer was overfilling the crankcase - The oil level was always where the orange plastic joined the metal part of the dipstick – not at the high level oil mark. At first, I thought I had gas in the oil – it turned out that it was a overfilled crankcase.

Transmission Oil
I also changed the transmission oil early with Amsoil at the 48K miles. The transmission was making a whining noise. Now it is quiet like new. The transmission also made the same noise just before the 30K transmission oil change.

Intake Valves Cleaned
I also cleaned the intake valves at the 48K mile service with CRC Intake valve cleaner. Direct injection cars carbon over the intake valves which can cause stalling, rough idle, and, poor gas millage in higher millage cars. I did notice a smoother idle and a slight increase in gas mileage (about 1 MPG), but I also changed to Amsoil engine oil and changed the air filter – so I am not sure if the intake valve cleaner caused the difference.

Did you installed Hondata with 6 psi? Second question, looks like you change transmission oil every 15,000 mls, correct? I getting ready for Hondata on my CRV, any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Hondata Reflash

Tires

Engine Oil

Transmission Oil

Intake Valves Cleaned
I have a 18 Touring with 8K miles that certainly doesn't need tires, but I was struck that Tire Rack's web site shows that Michelin Premier tires start life at 8/32, and most others start at 10/32. Check out the specs of individual tires considered. Amazed by country of origin of tires and how they differ by size

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a 18 Touring with 8K miles that certainly doesn't need tires, but I was struck that Tire Rack's web site shows that Michelin Premier tires start life at 8/32, and most others start at 10/32. Check out the specs of individual tires considered. Amazed by country of origin of tires and how they differ by size
Michelin has claimed with some pretty compelling 3rd party proof that the premier series keeps its grip down to 2/32 where most other tires are dangerous. I don't know that I've ever let a tire get that low, but I intend to with my premier ltxs.

I suspect that in the end it's a wash, unless you're one of the ones that takes normal tires down that far. If I lived in southern California I might, but not in New England!

The cynical answer is that they developed a technology that allows tires to last longer, so in order to keep revenue flowing they reduced tread depth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
A friend told me once, if you are getting bored with a car, buy new tires. The difference is amazing and you have a car that can go anywhere in any weather.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts