Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why the CRV ('08) needs 5W20 oil? All my other cars, including the 99 Prelude I had also w/ a v tec engine used 5w30. What is the difference? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Probably Better Fleet MPG

Not sure but I think Honda switched in 2002. There has been a lot of chit chat and supposition. I don't recall of seeing a factual reason from Honda, but it has been proposed that the real reason may be to increase the fleet MPG rating.

How is the weather up your corner of PA? Our big storm sort of fizzled, hope it remains that way. I could care less to find out how good my V goes in the snow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black Pearl,

Thanks for the reply. My husband did read something about better MPG. Anyway, we are getting hit with the storm, unfortunately. Luckily, we don't have to go anywhere today!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link - definitely interesting. The 5w20 is about $2 more per quart, but I wouldn't put anything different in! Like you said, we don't know how true any of this is, but it's not worth taking the chance! I plan on keeping my car for a while :)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
While I attempt to put the specified 5W-20 into our two Hondas that call for it, I have run 5W-30 occasionally. No harm done...in fact in the rest of the world, 5W-30 weight oil is specified for the same engines.

That said, nowadays 5w-20 is more readily available as it is specified in many engines in Ford, Chrysler, and Honda vehicles. Toyota is moving to the lighter weight oils as well.

Many oil marketers are now debuting 0W-20 oils...you could use these and benefit from faster oiling at start-up (the protection would remain the same during hot operation).

EDIT: look at the topic I found on BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG) this morning: :eek:
http://tinyurl.com/99zuqc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Machining is so much better than it used to be. Oil is, too. 5W-20 provides all the lubrication, cooling and cleaning you'll ever need. It is quickly becoming the standard for new cars. Even some Honda motorcycles are using "lighter" grades of oil: my '03 ST1300 specs 10W-40, but newer (identical) model years spec 10W-30. Bikes are much more demanding of their oil since they are typically run harder and the transmission and motor share their oil.

Use what's specified by the manufacturer. Why would they not spec what is best?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Machining is so much better than it used to be. Oil is, too. 5W-20 provides all the lubrication, cooling and cleaning you'll ever need. It is quickly becoming the standard for new cars. Even some Honda motorcycles are using "lighter" grades of oil: my '03 ST1300 specs 10W-40, but newer (identical) model years spec 10W-30. Bikes are much more demanding of their oil since they are typically run harder and the transmission and motor share their oil.

Use what's specified by the manufacturer. Why would they not spec what is best?

Not to be sarcastic but re-read your last line and think about all the problems people are having with the tires. Manufacturers use the "best" that will provide them with acceptable profit levels. :):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts