Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil cap is 0W20 which I use in winter for the cold starts but I have a chance to get a good deal on 3 5L jugs of synthetic oil and it's 5W30 which I would use in summer. Anybody thinks that's a bad idea?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The system was designed for 0W-20, only. I know that sounds light, but the viscosity index is comparable.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
270 Posts
I don't see details on your V but what does the manual say? For me using the wrong spec'd oil to save a few bucks is a bad idea.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
324 Posts
Why put a thicker oil then required and you are in Canada too. It is not like you are in the dessert. I would stick to 0w20. If cost is all you are worry about, then the savings you get from the deal might be gone by using more gas from the thicker oil. Infact you might even be paying more at the pump then what you save from the deal.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
Do you drive enough kms that you need to change summer & winter?

That said, "5W30 has an ideal working temperature of -30 to 35 degrees centigrade ". If that fits the description of ambient temps where you reside, no worries going to one heavier grade...especially if it is synthetic

Look for oil analysis reports at BobIsTheOilGuy.com .

Reactions: Rygrego

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you drive enough kms that you need to change summer & winter?

That said, "5W30 has an ideal working temperature of -30 to 35 degrees centigrade ". If that fits the description of ambient temps where you reside, no worries going to one heavier grade...especially if it is synthetic

Look for oil analysis reports at BobIsTheOilGuy.com .
Yeah, I do my own oil changes so at least 3 times a year which is every 6000km. I could use the 5w30 in summer as our temp can go easily to 30c to even 35c here in Montreal. The 0w20 is only rated up to 30c, not sure how that works in the southern US, hard to believe 0w20 is a North American standard.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,049 Posts
My oil cap is 0W20 which I use in winter for the cold starts but I have a chance to get a good deal on 3 5L jugs of synthetic oil and it's 5W30 which I would use in summer. Anybody thinks that's a bad idea?
5W30 is perfectly fine. In fact according to the 2014 CRV 2.4L Owner's Manual in Japan 0W20 and 5W30 are both recommended grades of oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The system was designed for 0W-20, only. I know that sounds light, but the viscosity index is comparable.
Wrong wrong and wrong.

0w20 is nothing more than for epa ratings. Can run 5w30 without issue ever.

Pays to actually read Hondas actual information. The only thing that matters is using synthetic not conventional.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
The following is from my 2012 owners manual....seems pretty specific to me

• Genuine Honda Motor Oil

• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container

Synthetic oil

You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,873 Posts
The only thing switching will do is affect your gas mileage. However, living in the southern states (was stationed in TX and now I'm in VA I have always used 0W20 with no issues and it gets extremely hot in the South. You'll be fine with whatever you use.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The following is from my 2012 owners manual....seems pretty specific to me

• Genuine Honda Motor Oil

• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container

Synthetic oil

You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade
Seems owners manuals state that but it's not all the information. It isnt until 2015 the "earth dreams" engines are put in CRVs I believe. Prior engines are still basic k24, haven't really changed much since 2002. From Honda service directly, 0w20 is not required. 5w30 is perfectly fine. Just like every Honda technician will tell you that going by the maintenance reminder system is a fool's game. It's there for maintenance costs looking good on paper and get you out of warranty. Not for the longevity of the vehicle.

As I said earlier, 0w20 is for epa ratings only.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
56 Posts
I'd probably tend to go with 0W-30. I remember my Miata reccomended 5W-30 and it always had valve tappet noise on cold startup. Switched to 0W-30 and the tappet noise went away completely, even after sitting in storage during the winter, totally quiet on startup. Point is, the 0- oils flow better when cold, giving more protection at startup where apparently a lot of wear occurs. I've been using 0W-20 in my Hondas since it became the reccomended oil. Always switching to Mobil1 AFE and a Mobil1 filter after the initial 5k service, and thereafter. I know some here aren't Blackstone Labs fans, but their reports show the 0W-20 synthetic that I'm using along with what I consider a better filter, has yielded consist, predictable good results. A thicker oil generally raises oil temperatures as it's harder to pump through the engine. The 0W-20 may be an EPA ploy, but it's worked just fine for me over the last 5-6 Hondas, never had an engine issue using it. And yes, every Honda mechanic I've had servicing my cars has reccomended 5K intervals and never to delay changing CVT fluid. The MM is an algorithm, I'd rather be early and safe, than push fluids to the edge of their service life.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
The original question was "Should I take a great $$ deal on some 5w-30"

This has deteriorated into YET ANOTHER 'What Oil To Use' topic.

I think the consensus is that the 5W-30 will work without issue (especially if it is used during the summer season in the Great White North).

Reactions: PhilF

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
56 Posts
The original question was "Should I take a great $$ deal on some 5w-30"

This has deteriorated into YET ANOTHER 'What Oil To Use' topic.

I think the consensus is that the 5W-30 will work without issue (especially if it is used during the summer season in the Great White North).
You are correct, essentially an discussion of specifications, experience and opinion, as far as the OP's question, your response is correct, no real issues. Personally I have no dog in the fight, only can relate as to my experience with the oil in question, that and discovering there is always a reason for a "great deal" and that you generally get what you paid for......sometimes less. I'll usually jump in when someone suggests using oil from The Dollar Store.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You are correct, essentially an discussion of specifications, experience and opinion, as far as the OP's question, your response is correct, no real issues. Personally I have no dog in the fight, only can relate as to my experience with the oil in question, that and discovering there is always a reason for a "great deal" and that you generally get what you paid for......sometimes less. I'll usually jump in when someone suggests using oil from The Dollar Store.
Wait, what?
The Dollar Store has motor oil...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
I'd be glad to sell you some drain oil from my sports cars. Always synthetic, usually no more than 2000 miles' use.

Oh wait, I need that stuff for my lawnmower. o_O

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wrong wrong and wrong.

0w20 is nothing more than for epa ratings. Can run 5w30 without issue ever.

Pays to actually read Hondas actual information. The only thing that matters is using synthetic not conventional.

LOL... I do... it's called the owner's manual. Buh Bye.

Reactions: intruder1500

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't, That engine is very sensitive to viscosity and it could cause a VTEC problem and put it in limp mode.

·
Registered
940 Posts
don't, That engine is very sensitive to viscosity and it could cause a VTEC problem and put it in limp mode.
Where do you get this information from and why do you spread it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts