Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one for you guys complaining about your highway performance. I performed this modification on my Element. But as luck would have it, this works on CRV's as well. There is one guy that has done this to his CRV and a few of us have performed this on our Elements.

The short of it is that I converted the 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed transmission using factory parts. Essentially you are just adding another gear to the package. The 5 speed transmission contains gears 1-5 and a spacer where 6th gear would be. I just replaced the spacer with a 6th gear.

Threads:
Basics

Conversion Plans

Additional Tips

6 Speed CRV

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Congrats on a really useable mod.

When you consider the cost it may have been to add this from the factory, why the heck didn't Honda just do it. If one is already buying a manual, they know enough to want 6 speeds instead of 5. It could have even been a $200 option.

·
Registered
213 Posts
And here I was thinking about stopping at just an automatic to standard swap. Now I have more to look into. Nice job on the mod my man, sure to get alot of attention.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
I knew it had to be too good to be true. I guess the good part is in my commute the majority of my stop and LONG go is a 45mph speed limit (just enough go put it into 5th and not enough to put too many RPMs on it in 5th) So, no one has been brave enogh to attempt making a 6 speed or just not possible with the 1st Gen?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I knew it had to be too good to be true. I guess the good part is in my commute the majority of my stop and LONG go is a 45mph speed limit (just enough go put it into 5th and not enough to put too many RPMs on it in 5th) So, no one has been brave enogh to attempt making a 6 speed or just not possible with the 1st Gen?
I think the key is that the new 5 speed tranny is the same case and internal design as the 6 speed one. Basically, that the newer 5 speed one is the 6 speed tranny missing the gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
05 CR-V 6th Speed Conversion?

For anyone in Northern CA, I have a gear guy in Sacramento and a shop in the Benicia who will do the work. 7 hours for R & R at $650. Tranny time should come in at no more than $200. Parts are $480 delivered from Acura Carland in Georgia. At $1300, this a big investment, but they will guarentee their work. At todays gas prices and driving 15k per year mostly freeway, saving would be about $400 anually, so three years to pay it off.
Doing the work myself is an option, but in the 2-3 days it will take me, I can work some overtime and pay the experts to work on my car. I think
this mod will make this car a keeper, and well worth it in the long haul. Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 AWD CR-V 6 Speed Completed!

After reading all of the great pioneering on this conversion, I ordered the parts and had it done by my mechanic and his gear guy. I changed out the clutch as well to buy another few more years on it. I'm at 45,000 miles, but bought it used 1-year ago, and previous owner was not gentle on the clutch.
Total cost with parts and labor for Tranny conversion was $1600(parts=$480), plus another $200 for the clutch. MPG-after 2000 miles-25-27 MPG. Previous was 22-24 MPG, so I am getting a full 10% better. The best part is the Highway ride is much quieter and the lower RPMs make for a smoother cruise control pull. Meaning 2850 RPM at 70 MPH is much more big-car than the whining 3300 RPM. At 75 MPH, 3000 RPM is plenty powerfull, compared to the hyper 3500. At 80 RPM, 3200 is way smoother than screaming 3750.
There were unused synchros on the back side of 5 gear, but they were unusable due to them being coned on one-side. The shifting is sooooo smooth, I swear I am driving a factory equipped 6-speed. Many thanks to Rick and Thomas for the coolest OEM-like mod possible. It was the one thing I felt missing from this wonderfully engineered vehicle!

·
Registered
233 Posts
any update after a week of driving?
any issues you and your mechanic had to address?
what was your decision on the lockout of reverse?
(ignore, special mod, etc.)

i've been considering this for some time. $5 gas may just push me into it.

thanks.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
After reading all of the great pioneering on this conversion, I ordered the parts and had it done by my mechanic and his gear guy. I changed out the clutch as well to buy another few more years on it. I'm at 45,000 miles, but bought it used 1-year ago, and previous owner was not gentle on the clutch.
Total cost with parts and labor for Tranny conversion was $1600(parts=$480), plus another $200 for the clutch. MPG-after 2000 miles-25-27 MPG. Previous was 22-24 MPG, so I am getting a full 10% better. The best part is the Highway ride is much quieter and the lower RPMs make for a smoother cruise control pull. Meaning 2850 RPM at 70 MPH is much more big-car than the whining 3300 RPM. At 75 MPH, 3000 RPM is plenty powerfull, compared to the hyper 3500. At 80 RPM, 3200 is way smoother than screaming 3750.
There were unused synchros on the back side of 5 gear, but they were unusable due to them being coned on one-side. The shifting is sooooo smooth, I swear I am driving a factory equipped 6-speed. Many thanks to Rick and Thomas for the coolest OEM-like mod possible. It was the one thing I felt missing from this wonderfully engineered vehicle!

Did you do a lightened fly wheel while you were there!? It helps with parasidic power loss. You slow down and speed up faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1-year update on 6-speed CR-V

After one year and 15k miles, the 4WD V is running great with the 6-speed MT. The reverse lock-out is not needed unless you plan on going from 4 directly to 6th and possibly missing the 5-6 slot. Just coming straight down from 5 is SOOO easy, you would have to force it over to Reverse. I only did it once by mistake, but there was no way to engage the straight cut reverse gears, and I stopped at the first slight grind.
The ratio is not too tall as to require downshifting on steep grades as long as the rpm is at 3000(70 MPH). I am getting a consistant 27-28 MPG HWY, about 3-4 MPG improvement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts