Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anybody been able to identify the part numbers associated with the 6 speed manual available with the 1.5T/AWD setup in Europe/Asia?

Interestingly, it's available on both the FWD and AWD models, and would probably hold a lot more power than the CVT we are stuck with from factory.

I'd like to price out all the parts for a potential swap, but have not been able to find part numbers very easily.

Has anybody done the swap already?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd guess the chance of someone here being able to pull this off is about 1 in 10,000. If you are that person, then get to work and hopefully the community can help you track stuff down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it will be that bad? If they ship AWD CR-V’s with the same motor and a 6 speed in Europe, wouldn’t it just bolt up? I can’t find any part # for the CR-V manual trans...it would go to the L15B AWD.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yes I think it would be a really tough process. Completely different wiring harness, mounts, ECU, etc etc. I'd guess $10,000 and a year to figure out.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to import one from Europe/Asia. If they let you, of course.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You could probably pull it off, but your dash would light up like a Christmas tree until you could get the PCM programmed to be coded for the correct transmission.

I know that it would have been relatively straightforward on my old B5 Passat (the service manual had all the codes for the necessary re-programming; a $100 3rd-party S/W pacakge, and you were all set), but that may or not be available in the Honda manual, and you'll need to convince somebody with the right tools to perform the reprogramming.

There are also sometimes minor differences on the engine itself, so it's not a matter of just a transmission swap.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Along with the transmission you'd need the pedals, cables, and brackets to connect the pedal to the transmission. Might need different drive shafts and propeller shafts, too.

I'd look at importing an entire vehicle, assuming the US will allow you to do that. Look for a company that specializes in doing vehicle imports, as there's more than getting it past customs. It also has to meet US safety standards.

I found this information, but make no claim as to whether it's correct or comprehensive:

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying/how-to-import-a-car-from-europe

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm sure safety is not an issue nowdays unlike it was in the eighties and nineties when the same models in the US had to be equipped with oversized bumpers, often seeming out of proportions. Now the safety is mostly structural, not the bumper padding itself and is manufactured identically for the developed world. There are models for the Third World which do not comply with any European or US laws, just to keep the costs down.

Emissions laws are a bit different but not too dissimilar: https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/ICCT_comparison Euro v US.pdf

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
mrtn - I know there used to be a lot of differences, but I don't remember reading any recent conversations about importing a vehicle into the US, so I have no idea what it would take now.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Do you think it will be that bad? If they ship AWD CR-V’s with the same motor and a 6 speed in Europe, wouldn’t it just bolt up? I can’t find any part # for the CR-V manual trans...it would go to the L15B AWD.
Given how electronically linked engines and transmissions (even manual ones) are these days... I agree with UMRdyldo on his expressed concerns. Add into that racoons points about needing all the underlying linkages for the foot pedals, possible drive shaft incompatibilities, etc..... this is going to be a very difficult endeavor.

Also.. do not assume the engines used are identical between EU and NA. They are certainly on a common design... but Honda does alter the characteristics and configurations or their engines for different regions, and probably for different transmission mating too.

Anything generally can be done with persistence and intellect.... but at what price and effort? Plus... you probably are violating both state and federal rules on what you can and cannot do to a vehicle in terms of powertrain modifications for a street legal vehicle. And of course probably no mechanic or dealer would touch it with a ten foot pole... so you would need to be the sole mechanic for the vehicle.. no matter what went wrong with it. What if a vehicle with a manual transmission has unique firmware for the various interconnected electronic subsystems in the power train? Where will you get that firmware from, and how would you install it? A dealer certainly will not help you with that.

But I think the first and most fundamental question is: Why does Honda not offer a manual transmission on it's north america CRVs? There are reasons.. and they ultimately would factor into the degree of difficulty you may face.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 1.5 T manual transmission AWD (UK) Exec version with the all the features you mentioned in the other post. We don't however get remote start as standard. The passenger seat is manual adjustment, not electric. The HUD is not great either, the font for speed is too small, but it does show turn by turn directions which means I can have audio selected in the drivers display.

The engine is rated at 173hp for manual, and 193hp for CVT. The manual transmission I feel is a bit sluggish off the mark, although the acceleration figures on the Honda UK brochure are slightly better for the manual transmission despite lower hp. The car is manufactured in Japan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honda stopped offering a Manual CRV in the US when they redesigned for the 2007 model year if not before. From what I remember reading several years ago the manual CRV would sell well in the first year of the new design and then go back to 90% or more Automatic sales.

You could try importing one from the EU using a registered importer but be prepared to pay at least $10,000 to make it legal even using the argument that it's otherwise the same as US spec.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if the parts from the US market Accord with the same engine would fit but I honestly don't know if it's really possible even if you have a shop like Bisimoto that has put a manual transmission in a Honda Odyssey and made it work well.

With the manual option for the HRV now gone in the US not to mention all the other small suv's that have moved away from a manual transmission option it's hard to expect Honda to put the effort into offering a manual option in the future.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Importing a car not sold in the USA requires, just for starters, that it is over 25 years old and factory original.
Maybe you should trade your CRV for a current gen Civic hatchback, assuming that can be had with a stick shift and 1.5. (Quickly goes to Honda.com to check).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well, better start waiting right away. Time's a wasting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts