Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a $660 quote for 30K "major service" for our 2018 CRV from an independent shop. It includes oil change, cabin air filter change, transmission fluid change, AWD fluid change. Parts/labor split is approximately 270+390.

I think this is beyond expensive, but I would like to know what others have spent. This is a shop that I have not been to, but was highly recommended by someone I know. I have been taking my cars to a trusted mechanic for many years who recently retired.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a $660 quote for 30K "major service" for our 2018 CRV from an independent shop. It includes oil change, cabin air filter change, transmission fluid change, AWD fluid change. Parts/labor split is approximately 270+390.

I think this is beyond expensive, but I would like to know what others have spent. This is a shop that I have not been to, but was highly recommended by someone I know. I have been taking my cars to a trusted mechanic for many years who recently retired.
i do my own wrenching,,oil plus filter $30,cabin filter $10,tranny fluid (honda) $45,AWDfluid(honda)$25...about $100+,,im retired have nothing but time,im guestimating takes about about 2hours taking my time...if ur not wrench savy and dont have the proper tools, dont do it..

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You can change the cabin air filter yourself, and you can order replacements online. I usually buy several at a time, along with a couple of engine air filters in order to save shipping.

The 1997-2001 CR-V cabin air filters were a pain to replace, but since 2002 they have been easy to change.
Here's a video I found on youtube that shows how to change the cabin air filter in 2017-2018 CR-Vs.

I don't do fluid changes anymore as it's too much of a pain to properly dispose of the old fluids, so it's worth having someone do those. Just make sure that the oil change is an oil-and-filter change.
Make sure they are going to use the correct Honda CVT fluid for the transmission, and Honda Dual Pump Fluid II for the rear differential.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts

Parts price sounds high, but labor sounds about right to be honest (usually the quoted labor cost is based on a "standard labor time for each item serviced, NOT actual time spent). In reality, it is faster to do a bundle of services usually, because they already have the vehicle in the bay... but they don't usually pass that efficiency on to the customer.

You don't want them using non-genuine Honda fluids.. so I'm sure that is part of it. Same goes for actual parts too in my view.. stick with genuine Honda.

Personally, I have not found good local independent shops that service Hondas to be much more competitive than the dealership.. but that's because in a large urban area, they all compete for business... so price matching and sleight undercutting is common. This will vary by region I'm sure.

What does the local Honda Dealer quote for the same service?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts

oil change $29 Synthetic at my local dealer
cabin air filter change $ 10 on amazon & 5 minutes in your driveway
transmission fluid change (depends on area )
AWD fluid change $80 at honda

You're getting hosed lol
why are you taking your new car to an joe blow shop... save all that shop small bs for sandwiches and coffee!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,781 Posts
What are the maintenance codes on your car? There are no fixed service intervals any more.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Stick with maintenance codes. I just told my dealer I only do Honda codes. I do 15000 mile air and cabin filter on my own. Not sure that's necessary but they do get really dirty around Virginia Beach. Everything else I wait for codes to come up. Your deal sound like a rip off.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Yup that is an over charge for sure. Indie shops and I am sure dealers probably all or most all use the flat rate charge manual to quote price of repair/maint. That details recommended parts and allowance for labor charges. Your flat rate charges have been "stacked" my term for adding them all up to charge the max even though the maximum allowed labor time is not likely to be needed, see? Once up in the air the tech can quickly open up the three drain plugs getting the fluids out in short order. The rest goes quickly.

Parts prices are usually doubled from what they pay. Have to consider shops have a lot of overhead in addition to the tech's actual labor time.

You could easily do the cabin filter and oil change. I have always changed my oil/filter. OE filter only! Now changing my auto trans fluid as well because a shop may just drain it and refill. This leaves some left in my torque converter (2014 model) and I won't allow that. Cabin filter is easy. Check YouTube. AWD fluid change requires some way to pump in over a quart oof fluid since that is filled under the car at the source.

Have them or someone else (get some quotes!) change the tranny and AWD fluids.

Always specify HONDA OEM parts!! They are high quality. I have owned Honda cars since 1981. Never buy after market or let any mechanic persuade you to buy NAPA crap or anyone else. The shop will pay less than OE but charge you max!

Use synthetic engine oil too. Superior to old Dino oil. Synthetic is like a preservative for your engine. All good things.

good luck! find another shop...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts