Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

What MPG are you getting on average from your 6th Gen Honda CR-V?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

· Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid
15 Posts
Also please remember driving in colder weather will hurt your mpg, it’s about 40 degrees now I’m at around 28 from 37/38 over the summer in 90 degree weather. Wait for the summer most of the people posting now are driving in cooler weather.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
I don't understand how changing the interior temperature can have that big an effect on your mileage?
I am going to make a mess of assumptions but he had it set at 72 when he started driving. This would be a mix of getting the car up to temp and keeping that temp at 72. When he turned it down to 65 the car was already at 72 so there was a delay in when the heater had to ramp up again. These systems do take energy to run, even the heater.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Honda Care-related posts moved here:

Cheers :)

Reactions: EXcommunicated

· Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
321 Posts
There appear to be a huge number of Generation 6 hybrid owners on Facebook who don’t understand where a hybrid excels and are complaining about only getting 25 mpg driving at 65 on the interstate.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
There appear to be a huge number of Generation 6 hybrid owners on Facebook who don’t understand where a hybrid excels and are complaining about only getting 25 mpg driving at 65 on the interstate.
Except I seem to consistently get 35mpg+ at 70 mph. tbh, I’ve been very surprised at how little difference I’ve seen between highway and around town driving. Averaging 37 mpg overall over 25k miles.

· Registered
89 Posts
On highway the car uses gas engine, of coz it will burn gas but it will charge the battery.
On city or local the car uses electric motor, it is saving the fuel

reset the gauge and start driving more,
Eventually the mpg will start goes up with more data

· Registered
10 Posts
2023 AWD EX-L getting 24mpg when I do the actual math (calculate miles traveled since last fill-up, divided by gallons filled to return to full gas tank). The dashboard would have me believe 25-27mpg.
Mostly city driving with some highway mixed in. Let's say 65/35 split.
I do not use Eco mode. I rarely accelerate hard either.

· Registered
2023 Honda CR-V Mk 6 Sport Touring (hybrid)
44 Posts
I just completed a 385 mile circuit. About the first third of the trip went across the Great Smoky Mountains to Knoxville and resulted in an elevation loss from the starting point of about 1000 feet. The middle third of the trip was driving in and around Knoxville. The last third of the trip was the return leg by a different route across the Unicoi Mountains with an overall ascent of about 1000 feet. Net elevation change was zero. Driving conditions were a mix of mountains, rural two-lane roads, city streets, and freeway/4-lane highway (all on dry roads). Despite being intimately familiar with the terrain, I set destinations in my GPS because I read somewhere that doing so causes the computer to plan for and optimize regenerative braking on the programmed route based on the terrain that is coming up along that route. Overall fuel economy was 42.6 mpg on the computer and the calculation at the pump returned 42.2 mpg.

· Registered
64 Posts
So I'm new- just got the 2023 Sport Touring yesterday.
Right now, I'm disappointed in the MPG. I got 25 @ 65 mph highway for 150 miles. That's way worse than my 2015 CRV EX - which would get 32-33 on highway at 65. I understand the hybrid isn't a factor at highway... but it shouldn't be 25 mpg.

There are two things: 1 -It's a balmy 3 degrees - up from -7 F. And it's brand new.
Looking forward to some better numbers.
BTW: Had to turn around in Ohio today and go back to Indiana- too many slide-offs and wrecks. Christmas plans down the drain.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Right now, I'm disappointed in the MPG. I got 25 @ 65 mph highway for 150 miles. That's way worse than my 2015 CRV EX - which would get 32-33 on highway at 65. I understand the hybrid isn't a factor at highway... but it shouldn't be 25 mpg.
Hello and welcome.

Would suggest you read the various posts re the Hybrid (5G) here for background:

Also, Hybrids are better at fuel savings around town. At higher speeds, they arent all that. Critically, which many buyers of any brand of Hybrid always overlook is the fact that hybrids are not designed for fuel efficiency as a primary objective. Hybrids are designed to lower tailpipe emissions - the spinoff benefit produces some fuel efficiency, but not to the magnitude of diesels, for example.

Once the northern hemisphere inclement weather warms up, you will see better and bigger improvements in your MPG.

· Registered
64 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Would suggest you read the various posts re the Hybrid (5G) here for background:

Also, Hybrids are better at fuel savings around town. At higher speeds, they aren't all that. Critically, which many buyers of any brand of Hybrid always overlook is the fact that hybrids are not designed for fuel efficiency as a primary objective. Hybrids are designed to lower tailpipe emissions - the spinoff benefit produces some fuel efficiency, but not to the magnitude of diesels, for example.

Once the northern hemisphere inclement weather warms up, you will see better and bigger improvements in your MPG.
Thanks, DarkKnight - I do know how the hybrid system works on both 5th and 6th gen. I know that there's a difference between 5th gen and 6th gen hybrid also. The 6th gen has basically two speed ranges at which the engine is mechanically connected to the drivetrain through a clutch - rather than serial hybrid. The 5th gen only had lockup with the engine at the top end. It's the serial hybrid mode that's not very efficient. The engine in the 6th gen hybrid are Atkinson cycle-which are more efficient at higher RPM - but don't provide good low-end torque - that's why they are a good match for the electric motor.

In the US, hybrids are definitely ALL about fuel efficiency and diesel autos aren't very common here. There isn't a diesel CRV in US, for example.
The hybrid CRV is rated at 40 city / 34 highway by the EPA for the awd... so 25 highway isn't even close to that. A 2023 CRV with Atkinson cycle ICE engine in lockup mode should do better than a 2015 CRV with an Otto cycle engine @ 65 mph.

The price difference in the US is about $5,000 between the EXL and the Sport Touring -the biggest draw being the extra MPG of the hybrid - particularly in urban driving.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts