Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

What MPG are you getting on average from your 6th Gen Honda CR-V?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
Not obsessed, just curious
Just my observation from owning Hondas for years it doesn't just automatically recalculate on the fly. What I mean is say I have been driving city most of the time and we go on a trip. The miles to empty will calculate on city driving so gas will "magically" appear when we stop at a rest stop. Of course there isn't a gas fairy, that just happens to be when it recalculates. The inverse happens when I go to work after a trip. I am not sure when it recalculates but these examples make it very obvious where you may not notice so much when you are using it in a routine manner.

If your car was going to lower its estimation of how much gas you had left at the exact time you put a gallon in there it may not register the additional gas.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring Hybrid
8 Posts
Just another data point here. Drove about 700 miles this weekend from Baltimore to Chicago. 95%+ was highway driving, and apart from brief spells of snow in Indiana and Ohio it was clear weather the whole way. Got around 22-24mpg average.

Edit - CRV Sport Touring Hybrid

· Registered
2020 CR-V Touring
229 Posts
Just another data point here. Drove about 700 miles this weekend from Baltimore to Chicago. 95%+ was highway driving, and apart from brief spells of snow in Indiana and Ohio it was clear weather the whole way. Got around 22-24mpg average.

Edit - CRV Sport Touring Hybrid
Wow, that's...not good. When I do highway/freeway driving, I usually top 30...and I'm kind of a lead-foot. Around town, it's more mid-20s. (That's in a 5G Touring, so not directly comparable, but I would expect a hybrid to do better!)

· Registered
89 Posts
But it shouldn't be substantially worse than a gas Touring on the highway, should it? (Maybe I should clarify, I would expect a hybrid to better than his did on the highway, not better than a gas model.)
Nope, you are wrong
the gas model is 1.5T.
the Touring is 2.0 and no turbo
On highway, you are basically using the gas engine alone
the 2.0 definitely consume more gas than the 1.5T

· Registered
2023 Hybrid Sport Touring, Meteorite Gray Metallic
12 Posts
On highway, you are basically using the gas engine alone
And to make things worse, the Atkinson Cycle engine in the hybrid is optimized for running at constant RPM to charge the battery unlike the engine in the non-hybrid.

I'm not complaining, I'm only on my second tank of gas, maybe 600 miles, mixed city/highway, and I'm sitting at 37 mpg average. In my 2016 for the same mix I was getting 27 mpg. I could get 32 if I took a long highway trip but most of my driving is suburban roads so I'm loving the improvement I'm getting by switching to a hybrid.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring Hybrid
8 Posts
Wow, that's...not good. When I do highway/freeway driving, I usually top 30...and I'm kind of a lead-foot. Around town, it's more mid-20s. (That's in a 5G Touring, so not directly comparable, but I would expect a hybrid to do better!)
I think that was unusually low because interstate driving allowed for higher speeds, and there was a lot of mountain and hill driving to deal with. I've been driving all week in the Chicago area - my commute is about 50 miles one way on the highway - and I've averaged about 26mpg. In the city with lower speeds and more stopping to regenerate, it will stay in the high 30s if not low 40s.

Really goes to show how city-oriented these hybrid models are.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Really goes to show how city-oriented these hybrid models are.
Indeed - and as I have opined on many threads regarding hybrids - its all about lowering tailpipe emissions in city-scapes etc to pacify tree-hugging policy makers (the same folk that do nothing against other major serial global polluters).

In any case, as the northern hemisphere approaches spring/summer, the (Hybrid) 6G owners will get better MPG :)

· Registered
2023 Honda CR-V Mk 6 Sport Touring (hybrid)
44 Posts
Yesterday I did 220 miles to Knoxville and back at 37 degrees F on dry roads. Roughly half of it was on mountain roads with a cruising speed of about 50 mph and the other half of it was on four-lane highway at 60 mph. Less than one percent was on city streets. Though I have not filled up yet, the computer read 43.1 mpg for the round trip and past fill-ups give me confidence that it probably did a little better than that.

I have not reset my other trip meter for over 1100 miles and it currently reads 41.6 mpg.

· Registered
4 Posts
My 2023 CRV Hybrid only has 600 miles on it so far, and i am driving very normal. I am only getting about 25 mpg and I am dumbfounded.
I thought this thing got at least 35 to 40 mpg? Will it get better?

· Registered
89 Posts
My 2023 CRV Hybrid only has 600 miles on it so far, and i am driving very normal. I am only getting about 25 mpg and I am dumbfounded.
I thought this thing got at least 35 to 40 mpg? Will it get better?
How you drive it?
i been driving the EXL since October 28 and have almost 5k miles already, avg 27.5/mpg
i think 55% highway and 45% city (struck in traffic)

· Registered
2,079 Posts
I am trying to drive it pretty normally since it's a hybrid. I actually want to get great MPG, put it's just been average. Maybe it's the cold weather.
I think the question was more directed at the type of driving you do, like in town, or highway. Cold weather will also have an impact, due to winter blend gas being used. Ethanol content is yet another factor.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts