Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
8" Chinese Navi radio for 2007-2011 CR-V (Win CE6) - Unboxing & First impressions

(Updated 6/17 with various corrections)
(Updated 5/22 with additional features maintained, additional flaws, and new Tips & Tricks section)
(Updated 5/27 with Navi performance during 600 mile drive this past weekend)
To-do's as of 5/27: Complete installation of backup camera

I am starting a new thread for this product that I have installed in my 2010 CR-V EX-L yesterday, replacing the factory non-navigation radio with one that integrates (almost) perfectly in the dash-space with a beautiful, feature rich unit that is superior in functionality to the original although has some drawbacks as well. This thread is a work-in-progress as I will be updating it when I can spare a few minutes during the day while at the office.

For point of reference, this is the radio that I purchased through Ebay for $224 with free expedited shipping from Hong Kong, and including a free universal backup camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Car-SUV-Stereo-GPS-NAV-DVD-Player-Radio-BT-HONDA-CR-V-2007-2011-Rear-Camera-/151296210542?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item2339f4f66e
Unit is as described in the listing so i won't waste time listing all of the features.

For that price I decided to purchase a 3-year extended warranty through Squaretrade for $35, even though I am not a fan of extended warranties in general. My rationale for doing so was:
1) Through my research I have learned of these types of radios having issues, which may or may not have been fixed with this particular unit
2) the total cost of the radio & warranty is well within my budget for this project
3) The cost over 3 years of ownership is $11.66 year, and extends the factory warranty from 1 year to 3 years
4) In case of defect, shipping both ways is included

I purchased the radio on the morning of 5/1, and I received the radio through DHL on 5/5. Impressive!

I unboxed the radio last night and installed it in my dash, using the direct-connection harness provided (no splicing necessary!). So far I'm mostly impressed with this unit. There are however some cosmetic issues with the unit that I received:
1) There are minor scratches on the faceplate where the SD card & GPS card were inserted & removed. I guess somebody in QC has sharp fingernails!
2) The 2 rotator dials- volume & tuning knobs will rub slightly through part of their rotation
Neither of these issues were enough to make me ship the radio back.

Also, I'm not sure if there's some overlap of the radio faceplate to the surrounding console. I haven't installed the 4 white plastic faceplate clips yet (since I still have more work to do), and I need to tweak the factory bracket to see if I can get it to sit flush. (update 5/7- Radio fits better now after adjusting radio position within factory brackets).

Features lost:
-Discreet USB connection in upper glove box. The sole USB connection is on the faceplate of the radio and will not be a clean installation to connect to the existing USB port in the glove box. I have routed the 30-pin iPhone cable in there in place of the USB pigtail and tucked that pigtail behind the dash. BTW the iPhone cable is sealed to the rear of the radio and cannot be disconnected without dismantling radio.
-AUX-in jack in center console. I may be able to reclaim this if i can access a wiring diagram and build an adapter (if one doesn't exist already on the interwebs) [Note 5/22- last night I connected an AUX audio cable to the back of the radio (RCA left&right on one side, 1/8" stereo jack on the other) and routed it to my glovebox. Now I can connect my portable Sirius receiver or phone for wired audio)
-SiriusXM satellite radio. I already have 2 radios subscribed and don't want to pay for a 3rd. There are other options anyway to play satellite radio through an android or iPhone app

Features gained:
-Big, beautiful full-color 8" touch screen
-Navigation App. The unit came with a Navi SW named Kudos. I haven't yet used it for actual navi, just route simulation mode. I understand the unit is compatible with other, more popular brands of navi such as iGO & Tomtom. Right now this SW is good enough (although see the flaw I found with this app below). Update 5/27 I used this app for a 600-mile round trip from Atlanta to Winston-Salem, NC. It worked well. If I had a few gripes they would be:
a) there is no way to display information such as ETA. The only route information I could display was distance to destination widget.
b) none of my display settings persisted across ignition cycles. I prefer North-up 2D view. They system defaults to Heading-up 2D view at each ignition cycle
c) if I restarted the route after an ignition cycle, the route will enter "simulation mode" rather than real-world routing. This was only a minor nuisance.

-Bluetooth connection for calling, phone book download & A2DP (wireless stereo broadcast from smartphone, which I use to play Pandora, SiriusXM app, and MP3s on my phone)
-DVD player. I don't really need this right now but it's nice to have. Plus when I desire to I can add rear-seat video to this unit. I don't yet know, however, if I can play a DVD to the rear seats while listening to radio through the speakers and viewing the Navi screen.
-Micro-SD card player (up to 32gb). I don't have an immediate need for this since I can store songs on my phone and play through either A2DP or USB. I think this would also be used in case of a software update.
-Backup camera. Definitely a must have for my wife ;-). I have this half-installed right now, although I tested it's functionality by wiring directly to the back of the radio (see screen shot below). I need to connect camera power & ground to one of the reverse light bulbs, run the video cable from rear to front, and connect the signal wire from the radio to the reverse wire in the front harness.
-Aux audio & video input. Again I don't have any practical need for this at the moment, but it's nice to have.
-A remote control with a lot of buttons (no need for right now- maybe for rear-seat video in the future)
-Other apps- calendar, calculator, tetris?? (These apps can be disabled in the home screen in the Factory Settings menu)

Features maintained:
-AM/FM Radio.- I had to do some research to change this to North America Mode. This option is in Factory Settings, code 0000 to enter that menu. The default mode, which I think is Asia, has FM band in 0.05 Mhz increments, which is a pain to tune. The AM band lists stations in 9Khz increments, which doesn't match the 10Khz increments used in North America. There was no mention of this setting in the Chinglish user manual and I'm really happy that this option is available.
-Steering wheel controls.- works perfectly after programming. For some reason this is also password protected - 0000
-USB player. Hidden mini-usb jack on front panel. A short mini-usb (male) to USB (female) pigtail is included in the kit. I would probably order a mini-usb (male) to micro-usb (male) cable if I want to charge my android phone through this jack for simplicity's sake. The jack is hidden, and cover looks like one of the hard keys (labeled USB 2.0).
-Factory amplifier. I had read elsewhere that audio would sound poor with an aftermarket radio, but it seems just fine to my untrained ear. I think the factory amp is working correctly.
-AUX input. While I haven't yet wired to the original AUX input location in the center console I was able to install an AUX cable and run it to the glovebox

Flaws found so far:
1) The Kudos Navigation application will default to Washington DC as the entry state every time I try to input a destination by address. I don't live in DC, and most of my trips are local to Atlanta, so having to change state, then enter city prior to planning a route is an unnecessary step.
2) If I am listening to Bluetooth audio (such as SiriusXM app) and I open the Kudos Navigation app on my radio I lose the audio stream.
3) I can't seem to pair to more than 1 bluetooth connection at 1 time or keep multiple bluetooth devices in memory. For example if I have my Android phone paired and I want to pair my wife's iPhone I need to re-initiate the pairing process with the iPhone and it completely removes my android phone from memory. If I want to reconnect my android phone I need to pair it again. I don't know if this is as designed or if I'm doing something wrong.
4) The home screen scrolling arrows on the bottom of the screen do not highlight to indicate there are additional pages to view. The arrows are both transparent.
5) When pushing the touch screen at the sides I feel movement, like the screen isn't solidly connected to the faceplate.
6) With the sunroof open the screen gets pretty washed out by the sunlight. I wish there was a better coating on the screen.

Tips & Tricks:
1) Since you can assign the function of the steering wheel buttons, I am using the MODE button on the steering wheel to toggle the Navi app, rather than scrolling modes from the home screen. There is already a MODE hard key on the radio faceplate so that's redundant. Now I can toggle between my audio source (radio, iphone, CD, USB, SD, aux input) with the navigation screen with just that button press (rather than going through the home screen). You can also reassign the other steering wheel buttons for multiple purposes as you desire (such as, for example use the channel +&- buttons to connect & end calls).

More info & pics to come as I have time. Feel free to ask any questions.
The box from DHL:
IMG_20140505_172635[1].jpg

The box-in-the-box:
IMG_20140505_173027[1].jpg

Boot up with Honda Splashscreen programmed

RVC (night mode)- I wanted to test this prior to running the cables so I connected directly to the radio. Needless to say it functions.
IMG_20140506_181605473_HDR[1].jpg

Jesse in Atlanta

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should work in all 2007-2011 CR-V despite the model.

Plug & play? Yes and no.

The Yes-The 3 large connectors from the original radio plug directly in to the harness supplied with the radio-no cutting or splicing required. I assume all of the CR-Vs have those. Once I had those plugged in the radio booted just fine. The 2 other connectors i didn't use (from the car) I assume are for the USB, Audio jack, & XM reciever.

The No- You need to program the steering wheel control buttons (assuming your car has those) which was fairly simple. Other than that and customizing to your taste (for example I use the Honda boot logo which I am going to post above soon.) You also will need to correct the radio region settings like I mention above (if you're in a different region than default).
You also need to decide where to install the GPS antenna. I am installing mine in the center of the dashboard below the panel above the center vents so it's completely hidden. I was seeing 9 or 10 satellites at that location so it should be fine.

Jesse in Atlanta

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers."- Billy Joel

·
Registered
2 Posts
(Great post! Just what i was looking for) Couple of Q's;
- Do you know if you can update the map (i live in Norway) and also is it possible to change the GPS software to something more commercial (TomTom/Garmin etc)?

- There is so many SATNAVs on Ebay etc; if you could buy one again would you go for the same one or "upgrade" it to something with more mhz/ram etc?

Cheers from Norway

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
- Do you know if you can update the map (i live in Norway) and also is it possible to change the GPS software to something more commercial (TomTom/Garmin etc)?
When you order the radio the seller will send you the map for the country you request. As far as map updates to Kudos (or whatever other Navi app the seller will send you for Norway) there is information available on the web on how to obtain and install updates to your app. (I have seen sites such as GPSunderground and GPSpassion and others that offer this info, but my map is Q1/2013 so I'm not going to worry about update for a while so didn't do a lot of research). The same is true to change the GPS software to another brand- there are other navi apps available for a Windows CE 6.0 (wince6) radio...I'm just not as knowledgeable as others posting to those forums. Best bet is to contact the seller and ask him what's available, either free or for an extra fee through him.
- There is so many SATNAVs on Ebay etc; if you could buy one again would you go for the same one or "upgrade" it to something with more mhz/ram etc?
I was strongly considering an Android-based system available on Ebay, but for at least $100 more and for various other reasons I decided to buy this particular unit. Basically this unit is good enough for my needs right now (this is my wife's car primarily). I don't plan to add apps or modify the system and possibly cause any instability or void my warranty. Everything works like it's supposed to with no lags, conflicts or broken features, so I don't need more processing power or ram. I am, however, considering installing an android-based unit for my personal car at some point (I own a Toyota Mr2 Spyder, and there is an Android radio which is a direct fit, same as some corolla and RAV2 models). The main reason I would want an Android unit is for internet access & connected apps such as waze, pandora, etc. My problem is that with my current cell phone is that root, and consequently free wifi tethering, was blocked in the latest firmware update, and I don't want to pay for a tethering plan, so I'm kind of waiting for another cheap or free solution to get internet access to an android unit before investing in one.
Jesse

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking about ordering this same unit. It sounds like you haven't completed the install of the back-up camera, but do you know if it will automatically switch to the backup camera when the car is in reverse? Also, for the hands free bluetooth, have you tested the call quality, is the mic on the unit decent?

Thanks for the help,
Drew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's true that I haven't finished installing the rear camera- I've been stuck with other items on my honey-do list. So far I ran the video and power cables up from the tailgate, through the rubber grommet, to the body of the car...and that's where I have left this project to date. I need to find time to connect the power & ground to the reverse light bulb, run the video cable from the back to the front, and connect the reverse signal wire to the correct harness wire in the dashboard (I read it's a brown wire, pin 15 in a 42 pin connector in the driver's foot-well.. I need to confirm).

I notice that some of the rear cameras available online include a composite video wire (yellow) with an embedded power wire (red) which would simplify the wiring somewhat. The one that came with this kit does not- it's just a composite video wire alone. That being the case I choose to ground the camera ground wire (black) to the tailgate ground, extend the camera power wire (red) to the reverse bulb power wire (using a scotch-lock connector), and connect the reverse signal wire from the back of the radio to the reverse signal wire in the dashboard (using a scotch-lock connector). This way I am not running a separate 12v power wire through the length of the car, which might cause a short-circuit if it's pinched to ground somewhere.

I tested the camera by connecting it directly to the leads in the radio harness, and it worked (see the screen shot in my first post...I had directly connected the 12v power lead to the reverse signal wire and the camera power wire (you can see this directly above the radio)). Hopefully it will continue to work after connecting it the correct way and putting the car back together :).
If the reverse signal wire is connected correctly to the brown reverse signal lead, and that setting is turned on in the radio settings, the display should switch to rear camera view.

I placed several calls, and asked each time I was heard clearly. I was told that I was clear, although a little low.

Jesse

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jesse,
I just bought the $224 navi for my 2009 and looking forward to the install. Any additional tips on the rear view camera install? I too live in Atlanta and could sure use some help on the install....

thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still haven't completed installing the rear camera. The only recommendation I can make so far is regarding running the video & power cable through the rubber grommet (from the hatch to the body of the car) is use windex as a lubricant.

Jesse

·
Registered
2 Posts
Install was a snap. < 1 hour start to finish. However, I've yet to start the back up camera. I already tapped into the "rear" wire and have it run under the dash, so when I confirm that "brown" wire, I'll have it ready to instal LOL.

Everything else works great!! Even the DVD player haha...

Maybe I'll work on the camera next weekend an keep the thread posted, but I'm satisfied. Wife thinks it looks factory :)

HondaP18

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cold Weather

Has anyone used one of these through a cold winter? I am in Canada and I think the winter would kill one of these things...

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have purchased the same unit for my 2009 CRV replacing the original Sat Nav unit which had become faulty. Does the Steering Wheel control cable work directly from the main plug, if so how do you then configure your unit to work from the controls. Grateful for any assistance

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I'm looking at this for my mother's car - she really wants a back up camera. She has a 2007 EX.
She lives in Phoenix - we'll be visiting over Christmas and would like to install during the 3 days we'll be there.
Has this unit held up over time? Are special tools needed to install it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to bring back a two year old thread but how has everyones experience been with this radio? I recently purchased the same unit and have instantly voided the warranty by opening it and making modifications.

I was able to fix much of the UI annoyances and Im hoping to add an additional USB port and external mic soon. The internal mic was terrible.

I'll probably start a new thread if anyone is interested in my mods to this unit. This biggest part of them is that i now have a Row of six input selections on every screen. And sound, audio and Video settings can now be accessed together with out having to go back to the main menu. Also I was able to enable a few missing features mostly useless ones like a ereader and a digital clock on the main menu vs the useless analog.

Still a work in progress and it involves alot of back and forth between the PC and Radio to test code modifications.

I have written a review on amazon with a picture of the main board.
cant post a link yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is still working OK, however the trigger for the backup camera stopped working- I don't know if I blew it out in the process of installing the camera wiring.

I wish I had the ability to make the mods you are talking about. I bought a Delphi Connect OBD hotspot a few weeks ago and I may replace this radio with an Android OS version so that I can have full web access through the head unit.

Jesse

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't bother upgrading. I hear the android units boot slowly and over heat.

I was able to enable the wifi and web browser in the code. The board has two empty connectors for rear usb ports. One has a connector on it and the other is just open. If I can find the parts I can make a cable that will plug in to the board with out soldering. Very easy just haven't had time to get online yet as I'm still working on changing the interface. Basically this unit is the same as the more feature rich wince units but the manufacture decided to hide several features.

Once I am done I can upload the new code it for everyone. Even a novice should be able to apply the new files.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts