Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why in the online manual does it say "Unleaded gasoline, Pump octane number of 87 or higher "?....what benefit would running the mid range gas other than the costs?....just wondering why Honda puts that in there?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The simple answer is that 87 octane is not available in every location in the USA.
There are some places that 89 is the lowest octane available.
-------------------------------------------------------

ok thanks..I didnt realize that some places dont have 87.....that makes sence

·
Registered
631 Posts
If your lucky and can find a gas station that sells NO ALCOHOL gas you will see at least a 10% improvement in gas mileage

Here is a site to help you find stations that sell no alc. gas

https://www.pure-gas.org/
thanks for info....mileage is not a problem as I am just grasping at straws for this Oil Dilution issue,,,,I have seen the oil after my first change and it was thinner than water....though maybe Honda knew about the issue and was hinting to run more octane.............winter is going to come again.....

Edited..just got back from getting gas and very little sticker said 10% alcohol ,,,,you really had to look for it....and I will check other gas station around here to see if I can find one with no alcohol

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If your lucky and can find a gas station that sells NO ALCOHOL gas you will see at least a 10% improvement in gas mileage

Here is a site to help you find stations that sell no alc. gas

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Going to 100% gasoline from E10 does not result in a 10% efficiency increase. Since Ethanol isn't just inert (it's ~80% the energy content of gasoline), changing it out for gasoline would result in about a 2% efficiency increase.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Wonder where those special "no alcohol" refineries are? :headscratch:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am very pleased with how it runs on 87. I might venture higher some day, but can not see any urgency.
It makes no difference whatsoever, neither performance nor fuel economy improves with higher octane. The 1.5 is tuned for 87, any higher octane is superfluous as it can't adjust to higher octane without an aftermarket tune.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Oh no, another octane thread with more mis-information.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A whole new thread subject/title.........Gasoline Dilution - are you really getting 100% gasoline.:Notagain:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Simple ..... all refineries produce gas with no Alc. They add Alcohol after the gas is made
Yep the Alcohol and Octane enhancer are added to the finished product. It all comes out of the refineries the same.

Rob

·
Registered
476 Posts
You'll be looking for a while for straight gas.
The car's computers are also set for 87 octane, I've never had trouble finding 87.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
You'll be looking for a while for straight gas...........
......and when/if you find it, better have it analyzed for dilution.:nod:

·
Registered
180 Posts
It makes no difference whatsoever, neither performance nor fuel economy improves with higher octane. The 1.5 is tuned for 87, any higher octane is superfluous as it can't adjust to higher octane without an aftermarket tune.
Share is the source for this information regarding this specific vehicle please.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts