Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2019 EX-L (less than 3 months old and 875 miles) died tonight. Drove it home from visiting my folks (about a 100 mile round trip), stopped to drop some stuff off across town and when I started it back up, all of the dash warning lights came on and the dash started to display the various issues. Every system that could have a warning gave me a warning. Every one of them. It reverted to limp-home mode but I got it home (about 4 miles, partly uphill) @ 3-10 mph. Absolutely NO power, barely made it up a few hills. I called Honda Roadside Assistance (which is based in Canada and is really AAA). They would only tow it to the nearest dealer about 40 miles away. Of course, at 7pm on a Saturday, nobody was there so I'll have to call them Monday morning to tell them what happened. Oh, reverse worked (as well as it could in limp-home mode) when I backed in the driveway but wouldn't work at all when I had to reverse to square up with the tow truck (flat bed since I have AWD).

My non-technical mind says it's the ECM/ECU but who knows? I'm just super p***sed my 875 mile new car died. I hope the dealer can 1) fix it quickly and 2) deliver it back to me. (I have nobody who can drive me over there and I can't afford to take a day off work.)

It didn't overheat and other than having to re-pair my phone to the car on the trip to the folks (not the 1st time I've had to do that), it's been running well.

Mostly, I just wanted to vent. Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'd call Honda back on Sunday and explain what happened. Roadside covers a loaner if repair can't be done in 5 hours. They'll tell you if your situation applies. Even if they say no, I'd be tempted to rent a car anyway and ask your dealer to cover it as a goodwill gesture. There's no way you should be inconvenienced like this with such a new vehicle.

Enterprise will drop rental car off at your home and pick it up at Honda when your V is repaired.

I'm betting it's a bad battery. Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. It didn't act like a low battery. Started up quickly and all the lights worked but I (obviously) don't know jack about cars. :)

The only Honda number I know is for roadside assistance. They said they OBLY deal with towing but I can call them again.

Hadn't thought about a rental car. Good idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could be many things, but lack of power and limp mode, could that be related to the turbo hose that everybody says comes loose on these CRVs and newer gen accords? At 875 miles, it’s possible. Did the CEL come on?

Anyways, hope you get a loaner and Honda gets down to the bottom of this

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EVERY light, warning, buzzer, etc came on. :) The dash alerted me that EVERY system was bed, one at a time.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I see. Usually if you drive the new gen CRV in the ECO mode the battery will be charge in a low state thus creating the no start situation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up the CR-V today from Friendship Honda in Boone, NC. Just a note, they're not trying to make friends as far as I'm concerned. The service writer assigned to me (Hollye) was very friendly and professional and tried to help as much as she could but I could tell her hands were tied by the dealership. I live 40 miles away and only have the Honda so I asked if they would give me a loaner car while they were working on mine. Nope. How about you pay for my rental. Nope. Free car wash once it's fixed. Nope. I ended up taking a 1/2 day off work today, rented a car, drove it 40 miles to the dealer and picked up my Honda.

On to the meat of the matter. I lied about the mileage. I actually had 836 miles on the car. Here's what the invoice says under Cause: Confirmed multiple MILs. Technicion scanned and retrieved multiple codes. 423505 Diagnosis trouble code/antilock brakes or traction C (whatever that means). (Trouble codes included: U0401-68, U0416-16, U0416-F8, P1659 and U0401-68.) Performed software update for EBB/EPS. Tested and checked battery (more on this later). They also updated a sticker in the owners manual about the emissions statement or something.

I advised ALL of the CELs came on, not just 5 of them. They said the rest were a "cascade effect".

It seems to drive fine now. I drove it back from Boone (40 miles and it was HOT today), ran it through an automatic car wash, parked it at work for a few hours and when I restarted it, it ran like it was supposed to.

About the battery. They nicely included a slip of paper that must have been printed off of their battery tester. It says: Voltage 12.31V, Measured 570CCA, Raterd 410CCA, Temperature 89*F. The issue I have is that it also has a little icon with a line showing (I assume) the battery level. That points to something under 50% (although there aren't actual percentages showing). The "multi-point vehicle inspection checklist" has a similar "graph" and the tech drew a line at about 95%. Not sure what that's about but I guess I'll stop by O'Reillys this weekend and have them test it. They also said they checked the tire pressures. I don't think so. I have an aftermarket TPMS w/valve stem cap sensors. The only way to get them off is to loosen the lock nut. (I had the tool w/me.) The cheap TPMS shows funky pressures and I know I lose 1psi every time I remove/reinstall the sensor. Odd but the funky pressures were the same as they were previously. (The tech wouldn't have known all this.)

Bottom line, currently the car runs well but if I lease another Honda in 2.5 years (and if my car implodes again, I doubt it), it won't be from that dealer. I'm done whingeing. Just wanted to update.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Picked up the CR-V today from Friendship Honda in Boone, NC. Just a note, they're not trying to make friends as far as I'm concerned. The service writer assigned to me (Hollye) was very friendly and professional and tried to help as much as she could but I could tell her hands were tied by the dealership. I live 40 miles away and only have the Honda so I asked if they would give me a loaner car while they were working on mine. Nope. How about you pay for my rental. Nope. Free car wash once it's fixed. Nope. I ended up taking a 1/2 day off work today, rented a car, drove it 40 miles to the dealer and picked up my Honda.
A loaner should have been provided. I'm surprised about no car wash. Our Honda dealer washes all cars after all services, even just oil changes. One time their equipment was broken so they gave me a coupon for a free wash with I ended up using a couple of months later.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Under Honda warranty, I believe they are only obligated to give you a loaner or issue a rental if they plan to have the vehicle for more then half a day (5+ hours specifically). Sounds like you might have been on the cusp of this limit, but a good dealer would give you the benefit of the doubt. Keep in mind though.. all warranty costs, including a vehicle loan or rental must be approved and paid to the dealer by Honda corporate.

My dealer offers free Lyft fares to home or work for any service call (within 20 miles), and will issue a rental for a warranty service that requires a stay over 5 hours.

On to the meat of the matter. I lied about the mileage. I actually had 836 miles on the car. Here's what the invoice says under Cause: Confirmed multiple MILs. Technicion scanned and retrieved multiple codes. 423505 Diagnosis trouble code/antilock brakes or traction C (whatever that means). (Trouble codes included: U0401-68, U0416-16, U0416-F8, P1659 and U0401-68.) Performed software update for EBB/EPS. Tested and checked battery (more on this later). They also updated a sticker in the owners manual about the emissions statement or something.

I advised ALL of the CELs came on, not just 5 of them. They said the rest were a "cascade effect".
The codes clearly point to a problem, and yes.. they are correct about the rest of the alarms being a cascade effect (which is not uncommon in these newer vehicles).

About the battery. They nicely included a slip of paper that must have been printed off of their battery tester. It says: Voltage 12.31V, Measured 570CCA, Raterd 410CCA, Temperature 89*F. The issue I have is that it also has a little icon with a line showing (I assume) the battery level. That points to something under 50% (although there aren't actual percentages showing).
The CCA readout is the most important.. as it gives clear indication of the health of your battery. A good test can also electronically test the resistance in the battery which should be very low and coresponds roughly with CCA as well. 570 readout on a 410 rated battery says the battery is essentially in new condition. Mine is going on 3 years old and still reads out 520 on my monthly test.

12.31 vdc is actually about 70% charged... some test units would report it at 60%. This is actually not that abnormal for a Honda. Why? The charging system has two modes.. a high charge and a low charge (which is actually a standby mode that bleeds some charge off the battery to save alternator load on the engine (for a bit of mpg). Depending on which mode the charging system was in when you turned off your vehicle, and for how long, you may see a fully charged battery, or one that is more like 70% charged. When you drive every day, this really does not matter as long as the battery is getting a full recharge every few days. But you should be aware of this, because at 70% charge.. the vehicle will full drain the remaining battery charge in about 20 days (average of 35ma normal parasitic drain when the vehicle is properly powered down and working normally).

If you do mostly short trips in town.. your battery will rarely be fully charged, and they need to reach full charge periodically, and never be allowed to fully discharge in order to get maximum life out of the battery. On a long drive, the end state charge when you turn off the vehicle depends on where it was in the cycling between high charge state (14.5v) and low charge state (12.4-12.5v).

Personally, I like to keep close tabs on my battery so I don't get surprised one day. So I do a monthly performance test for CCA, charging system performance, and charge state. I also keep my headlights on when I drive on short in town trips (which is most of my driving)... as this forces the charging system to the high state. I also throw a smart trickle charger on my battery once every month or two as well.. as this will perform a reconditioning cycle on the battery as well as top it up to full capacity.

This ends my speil about battery life and quality in Hondas. :)

Gald to hear your CRV is back on the road and appears to be operating normally.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car was towed to the shop Saturday evening and was ready for me to p/u Wednesday morning. Well over 5 hours. The dealer said they didn't have any loaner cars (and said they were a smaller dealer). They mentioned they would have to contact their area/district/regional rep to see about paying for a rental but wouldn't do it and wouldn't give me his/her name/contact info. I'm still hoping Honda Corporate will reimburse me. If they don't, it's only 50 bucks but it's more the principle of the thing. In reality, since I'm leasing, it's Hondas car, not mine so under warranty or not, they should have done something different.

About the battery, thanks for the notes. 90% of my driving is in town. I think I'll have to start turning my headlights on. I'll get a battery tester this weekend and keep tabs on it.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
The car was towed to the shop Saturday evening and was ready for me to p/u Wednesday morning. Well over 5 hours. The dealer said they didn't have any loaner cars (and said they were a smaller dealer). They mentioned they would have to contact their area/district/regional rep to see about paying for a rental but wouldn't do it and wouldn't give me his/her name/contact info. I'm still hoping Honda Corporate will reimburse me. If they don't, it's only 50 bucks but it's more the principle of the thing. In reality, since I'm leasing, it's Hondas car, not mine so under warranty or not, they should have done something different.

About the battery, thanks for the notes. 90% of my driving is in town. I think I'll have to start turning my headlights on. I'll get a battery tester this weekend and keep tabs on it.
Keep pressing Honda Directly. Under the terms of the factory warranty... a Honda dealer does not have to secure you a rental car, but Honda DOES have to reimburse you for up to 6 days at $35 per day in the US.

Loaners are not part of warranty coverage, so they fall under "good will" on the part of a dealer.

Lease or own.. does not change anything with respect to vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dealer used a service that would have someone pick up my car and drop it off, but this was for the oil dilution recall work. I'm not sure what their criteria is for that pickup/dropoff service. I did have a friend ask them for the same thing when he wanted to do his recall service, but they seemed hesitant to do it for him. Eventually they did but gave him the most ridiculous hours. They dropped it off at his house at like 3AM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts