Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

97-01 ADDCO 3/4" Sway bar bushing fix?

288 Views 10 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  SeattleCRV90
Has anyone located a bushing that solves the issue with the ADDCO sway bar brackets not lining up with factory bolt holes?

Ultra Racing makes one that they sell with their 19mm bar, but I can't figure out where to order it by itself (the 19mm bushings they do offer have different item numbers). I contacted them but I think they've ghosted me since I'm not using their bar. There's got to be a bushing out there that works. I'm going to run some measurements and start looking but I'm wondering if anyone else knows a product that worked for them.

There is an old thread on this topic but there was never really a resolution from what I could tell.
Addco sway install help please

Thanks
Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,551 Posts
Have you tried to find a replacement bushing from a vendor such as Summit Racing or JEGs? Give them the inner (sway bar) measurement, and the outer diameter and width needed, to fit into the brackets you are using.

There are other providers too, but don't go poly for a sway bar bushing. They need to TWIST.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to find a replacement bushing from a vendor such as Summit Racing or JEGs? Give them the inner (sway bar) measurement, and the outer diameter and width needed, to fit into the brackets you are using.

There are other providers too, but don't go poly for a sway bar bushing. They need to TWIST.
Thanks @Carbuff2. Great info about the poly bushings. I wondered about what they offered in terms of performance. Sounds like it's the wrong application. If I find a solution I will update.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. The new version of this Addco bar comes with an extra metal bracket that presumably makes the bar fit. I'm planning to install it tonight.

Additionally, Ultra Racing got back to me and said that their Universal 19mm bushing is the one that they spec with their sway bar. So that probably works too if you want to avoid bolting on an extra bracket.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for updating us with your findings.
Further update: I tried installing myself but with inadequate lift and no power tools, I found myself stripping one of heads on one of 13 or 14mm bushing adapter bolts. I pulled the plug before I really screwed it up. I'm going that have it professionally installed next week along with lift springs, trailing arm spacers, shocks, and camber kit. I'm really hoping my 2001 SE is transformed without inviting too many issues.

The unofficial conclusion is that Addco has addressed the compatibility issues by supplying a plate adapter. The adapter uses the existing holes to affix a plate providing wider placement.The adapter slightly changes the center location of the sway bar, but presumably the end links should be able to adjust that small amount. I assume it works since they went through that much trouble. Here are some pictures:

Brown Wood Wood stain Rectangle Flooring

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just had the Old man emu springs, Bilstein struts, 1" trailing arm spacers, .5" additional rear spacer lift, and Addco 3/4" Sway bar. Including new strut mounts and refresh kit. I also have the the Ultra racing front strut brace.

The car handles amazingly on the highway, extremely responsive and not tippy at all, kind of ridiculous how fast this thing can rail corners now. The car now has slight oversteer problems because of thick rear sway bar. It's not really a problem so much as an adjustment now that it doesn't handle like a minivan. It is pretty stiff, so on crappy Seattle roads it's pretty harsh.

I don't consider the job finished, however, because it's incredibly squeaky now. I think the coil spring is squeaking against the insulators or something, that's my guess. I'm going to have the shop look at it. Does anyone here have any experience quieting up the coil over interface? Grease, other material? I know people say grease is bad but I can't take the incessant squeaking and creaking.

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,551 Posts
As I said, no polyurethane, right? Those like to make squeaky noises.

The original springs came with rubber isolators. You could have moved them over.

Before you take thing apart, hit various areas with a spray silicone, just to find out where the noise is coming from.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it's the sway bar. I think it's the strut mounts. It became squeakier when I hit it with silicone which is why I believe that. Anyway, I'm taking it back to the shop when they have some availability. Hopefully they can figure it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts