Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Doing a valve adjustment on my crv has been going less then stellar. Pulled the wires, and noticed oil on them. Pulled the plugs, and they were dripping. Photos here: imgur.com/a/70Ujr

My thoughts are that the spark plug grommets weren't sealing, but the oil hasn't been getting past the spark plugs since the car runs fine and without any signs of oil consumption (i.e. low oil, blue smoke). Car was smogged in November and passed with flying colors. No engine work has been done since August 2015. Currently there's definitely oil on the pistons (I can see with a flashlight) but I'm thinking it ran past the plugs when I removed them.

I'm thinking I'll replacing the grommets with fix the issue, and I'll monitor closely in the future.

Anyone have some thoughts to share? Do you agree with my thinking? Am I totally wrong (and naive)? Maybe something else I should look into?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Valve adj: Many will set the exhaust at the max adj recommended spec gap (they tend to tighten over time) and the intake at the min adj (they tend to loosen over time).
New grommets should take care of that oil problem. Had a similar problem with a 2000 CRV. Replaced valve cover gasket and grommets. Stayed oil free.
You may even consider a close look at your spark plug wires since they would be pretty old if they are the originals.
Some check them by misting water on them while the engine is running and while in a dark area (not a closed garage). :eek:
Flash over should be evident if the wire insulation is bad.

And in your yr CRV, NGK V-power spark plugs seem to work best. (NGK 2262 ZFR5F-11 V-Power Plug ) . I see that the old ones were the Iridium ones, but many have had the best luck with the cheaper V-power ones, although they don't last as long.
That gen CRV is known for the ignition coil getting weak.
Buffalo4
PS: Liquid oil on the piston was probably caused by what you said. :)

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Yep, they are called spark plug tube seals and not grommets. I used the wrong terminology. :(
The grommets are for the cover hold down screws/bolts, I believe.

Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts