Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been struggling with this CRV all day. It randomly started today out of the blue, when I was driving it, it just started to bog down as I was accelerating and would barely accelerate, and then it just died. I have been searching and searching for answers and have tried a few things so far. First, removed the heads and adjusted the exhaust valves, no change. Removed the air filter, no change, then removed the upstream o2 sensor and certainly the sound changed a bit, but that was in hopes of ruling out the cat which it did, because still, no change. I am at my whits end at this point and need help in a hurry. Any ideas on what I can try? Trying to not create a bill by having someone else check it out for me. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Fuel pressure (check it to see if filter is plugged or pump is weak)

Ignitor in the distributor (referred to as pickup coil in older US vehicle) throwing timing off.

Throttle posistion sensor.

Did you check for misfires?

Timing belt.

Cranksensor (tired, cant recall for sure if gen 1 has this)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I have been struggling with this CRV all day. It randomly started today out of the blue, when I was driving it, it just started to bog down as I was accelerating and would barely accelerate, and then it just died. I have been searching and searching for answers and have tried a few things so far. First, removed the heads and adjusted the exhaust valves, no change. Removed the air filter, no change, then removed the upstream o2 sensor and certainly the sound changed a bit, but that was in hopes of ruling out the cat which it did, because still, no change. I am at my whits end at this point and need help in a hurry. Any ideas on what I can try? Trying to not create a bill by having someone else check it out for me. Thanks for your time.
update. It was bad fuel...lol good lord the amount that was spent when it was all the 1/4 tank of bad fuel the whole damn time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was bad fuel. Which I am doing my best to find as a wonderful and funny thing, seeing as I already put so much work into this diagnosis, I can not believe it only took a $3.99 bottle of fuel cleaner to fix the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scratch that. apparently cleaning out the fuel with a bottle of Heat helped, but did not fully fix the issue. Ugh! now it just loses power when giving it a heavy load, doesn't stall, but just stops pushing forward. idk what the hell this issue is.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Heat is ONLY good for water in the tank. Nothing more

Can of seafoam with 1/4 tank or less.

Need to change the fuel filter and check pressure as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
You're skipping around too much. Start with the basics and go from there. What do the plugs look like? Good spark? Check fuel pressure as Tigris said, it certainly sounds like a fueling issue.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You might have a bad or going bad Igniter or Ignition coil. As what CRnotVtec said do the basics 1st. Was anything done before this happened? Check to see if the spark is blue or orange. What's the mileage on the odometer? Let us know.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
When is the last time you changed the timing belt? It almost sounds like the timing changed. Just a guess.
Fuel filter is also a good thing to check, as Tigris99 and others suggested. It is pretty low cost (even Fram has them) and pretty easy to change.
Compression test, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and igniter. Most of these will cause misfires, but the timing belt can cause low power under acceleration.
For ignition problems, check out http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1

Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have replaced the fuel filter, and the spark plugs, I have also handled the Cat converter, fuel pressure is good, also have adjusted the valves. At first, anytime you would put it through a heavy load, it would bog down and die, now, it is only not trust worthy on the highway. when giving it too much of a load it just stops going, but doesn't stall. It seemed fine after giving it heat, as in it stopped with the bogging down and I could finally lay on the gas and get it up to a good 45mph and it shifted ok, it wasn't until I attempted to take it out on the highway that it had issues. I was gaining speed, but had to slow down to get over due to road work, as I let off the gas to slow down a bit, and then went to give it a heavy load in order to gain up to 55, it just cut out completely, as if I wasn't hitting the gas at all, I let off, put on my flashers and veered off to a pull out spot in order to turn around and head home. it never stalled, never bogged at all, just cut out while still running. after I got it home I attempted to run the codes again to see if maybe another had popped up, but no luck. No codes to be found. I have no clue.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Ask a knowledgeable person on how to check if the timing belt skipped a lug or ?
How many miles on that belt?
Have you done a compression test?
Do you have an OBD2 reader you can use in real time?
Buffalo4
PS: Timing belt problem is my main guess.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I second the use of a can of Sea Foam in the tank.
Easy stuff first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.