Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 crv auto. ~180,000 miles

for the past month has had intermittent starting.

when it does start. it fires right up normally. runs normal. doesn't not stall or die.

but often doesn't not start. and takes 20 mins of cranking and resting to get it started. it will start fine for a few days. then act up for a few days. then behave again. which drives the mechanics nuts. it has been in and out of 2 different ones for the past month without any fix.

they have changed the
ign key
distributor
main relay
plugs

something must be on it's way out. or lose?

but are there any sensors that would effect the starting but not the running? I would think if an engine sensor was failing it would also cut out while driving?

thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
weird I can't edit posts at this forum?

anyways to add it doesn't appear to be a hot start issue either as I said it will be fine for a few days then bad for a few days. random for hot / cold starts.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the switch

The distributor is one piece it was all changed.

I'm looking at it again now after some googling last night

I get a 2 second cel. I get fuel pump prime. I get 5v at map sensor and tps with key on. (K-test) But currently it is starting and working fine. So kinda bitch to troubleshoot. I do not know what the cel was doing during no start. I will have to keep watching it now that I'm aware of that issue. Maybe I have the cel staying on / no priming issues sometines

I pulled the ecu apart and it looks totally clean. No leaked caps. Plugs / pins all look good.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just wanted to verify. You say that if it won't start the CEL stays on & wont shut off? Is this correct? You might have a bad Main Relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to verify. You say that if it won't start the CEL stays on & wont shut off? Is this correct? You might have a bad Main Relay.
not not confirmed. but I will now be watching for it. it did not act up all day today. main relay already replaced

1 - 6 of 6 Posts