Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 97 CRV that is overheating while standing still. The temp gauge will go up to 3/4 mark and the radiator fan will not turn on. I can turn the A/C on or heat at max and the temp starts dropping.

First I had to fix the temp gauge as that wasn't reading correctly. It is now reading correctly. Both fans turn on with the A/C. The radiator fan turns on when jumped at the connector. Upper and lower radiator hose gets hot. Coolant reservoir is filled to max.

I have replaced:
1. temp gauge sender (gauge wasn't reading right)
2. thermostat (thinking this was the gauge issue)
3. Radiator fan (it was seized)
4. Cooling fan fuse (under hood, I think the seized fan blew it)
5. Coolant/radiator fan switch (twice thinking I got a dud)

Is there anything else I should look into?

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
440 Posts
So you've replaced and checked wire connects on the thing that threads into the radiator?
I believe it's a real simple set-up, radiator gets too hot, circuit closes to turn on fan. Something in the chain of command is not connecting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I have a switch/sensor on the radiator. I feel it's a simple set up as well. That's why it's driving me crazy. The radiator fan turns on with the A/C so I feel everything downstream of the fan switch is working.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ok so your only has 1 fan??? Civics of that model range have 2 on the radiator, one for when AC is on and other for normal cooling.

You need to check power, all fuses in the system and the relay. It is a simple system. There is 2 different sensors though. One is the one thay turns the fan on, the other is for the gauge/computer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
If both fans work with the AC on then both relays are working and you know the fans are capable of working. Based on what you describe you are missing the control from the radiator fan switch. These are ground side switches. Unplug your fan switch and use a test light connected to a good ground and use it to supply ground to pin number 2 (Green wire) on the fan switch connector. If your fan runs, you have a bad ground. If it still doesn't run, you will need to check and make sure the wire from the connector to your PCM is intact.

Rad fan.jpg

The ground that this works off of is conveniently located right next to the switch.

Switch pic.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If both fans work with the AC on then both relays are working and you know the fans are capable of working. Based on what you describe you are missing the control from the radiator fan switch. These are ground side switches. Unplug your fan switch and use a test light connected to a good ground and use it to supply ground to pin number 2 (Green wire) on the fan switch connector. If your fan runs, you have a bad ground. If it still doesn't run, you will need to check and make sure the wire from the connector to your PCM is intact.

View attachment 114657

The ground that this works off of is conveniently located right next to the switch.

View attachment 114665
Thanks for this info. I'll try this tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Thanks for this info. I'll try this tomorrow.
I believe if you can disconnect that fan switch and then jumper the 2 pins in the connector with the key in the ON position, and if the radiator fan comes on, then the switch needs to be replaced.
That is usually the problem if both fans work with the AC and not otherwise.
Always make sure you have the right connector before jumpering two pins together. If in doubt, use a voltmeter to see if you are getting 12v from one of the pins to a ground and then between both pins.
It could also be corroded or loose connections at that connector. You could try turning the key to ON (with the engine off) and disconnecting and reconnecting that connector a couple of times to see if the fan starts. If so, probably just a loose or corroded connection.
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts