Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy- Great forum!
My son just bought a very very clean lo mi '97 CRV. It's in super shape, but
the side molding and bumpers are not what I would call black- but more kind of a dk. grey and they have areas where they look faded/old. Whats the best way to rejuvinate these to get them blacker-? Is there a powerful cleaner or?
Was thinking about masking, using a plastic adhesion primer and painting them satin black. Anyone done this with good results?

Also- the black trim pieces under the front and rear windows are all flaked off. Looks like chrome painted with black satin, but age and sun has caused the black paint to crack and flake. Common problem. Whats best fix? Replace, prime and paint?

I apologize if this has been covered, but searched and was unable to find answer. Thanks in advance!- John

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The thing with those bumpers is that they never really were black, always dark grey, there are a few things to be done about it, like paint (which is the hardest to do because of prep for flexing bumpers) and apparently it's been surfaced that the bumpers can be heated up to resurface the color.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
I seem to be the pro on this subject :D. Heat gun love will turn the plastic from almost white as they can get, back to dark oem original. Dont melt it. Or what I did was bumper black paint, and painted everything. Wiper cowl, all the bumpers, sides, plastics, and window "chrome". I did it all but the mirrors and door handles which didnt need it.

Dont power wash it, it will pull the paint off, and it may need touch ups every year if you want it to stay perfect, but I also didnt sand/scuff or prime either :D!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts