Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 CRV LS with Maunal Transmission seems to be making a squawking sound when it get on a bit of loose ground and the front wheels start to spin. I thought it might be something to do with the 4wd Engaging but it also seems to appear when turning quickly on full lock. Wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem. The car appears to drive alright, but I've never had the 4wd tested since I had over a year ago. Wyn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98 Crv makes squawking noise

Thanks for that - I've just gone through the maintainence pages and found black pearls How-to. That showed me how, but now I'm further confused as to what fluid to use.
The CRV manual for the 98 CRV that I have (downloaded) refers to 'MTF' for the gearbox (and not oil) and 'CVT' for the differential, whereas Black Pearl's How-to refers to 'Honda Dual Pump Fluid II'.
Is is that the earlier models used CVT and the later one's the dual pump fluid?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Thanks for that - I've just gone through the maintainence pages and found black pearls How-to. That showed me how, but now I'm further confused as to what fluid to use.
The CRV manual for the 98 CRV that I have (downloaded) refers to 'MTF' for the gearbox (and not oil) and 'CVT' for the differential, whereas Black Pearl's How-to refers to 'Honda Dual Pump Fluid II'.
Is is that the earlier models used CVT and the later one's the dual pump fluid?
Originally Honda Spec'd CVT fluif for the rear diff. I forget the exact year but Dual Pump was introduced after they figured out CVT fluid was just not cutting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squawking from CRV diff

Thanks for everything fellas - located my nearest Honda dealer (About 25 miles away). They've got the Dual Pump Fluid and MTF in stock. Up to my knees in snow at the minute, but I'll get enough fluid to do a double change when the weather improves.
Merry Xmas all

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Thanks for everything fellas - located my nearest Honda dealer (About 25 miles away). They've got the Dual Pump Fluid and MTF in stock. Up to my knees in snow at the minute, but I'll get enough fluid to do a double change when the weather improves.
Merry Xmas all
I would bet that a single change would do the job.
You can burnish the clutches after putting in the new fluid by doing the 10 slow tight circles in each direction.

Either way, it should solve the noise and your CRV will be happier.

Buffalo4
PS: Just a hint, make sure you can get the 'fill' plug loose BEFORE you remove the drain plug. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts