Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, last sunday my crv is at very high idle, very high revs. When driving it accelerates without me pushing the petal. The shifting gear is stuck on park . Its been at the mechanics for 2 days they have no idea what it is. Its an automatic crv 1998. Does anyone know if honda still makes throttle body for this model ?

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
430 Posts
Sounds like you may have multiple problems. When the shifter is stuck in park step on the brakes and see if your lights come on.

I Iooked up your throttle body and it looks like vintage parts still has them. However msrp is $1400.00. If that really is your issue I'd be looking for a junkyard donner or check and see if anyone makes it after market.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been at the mechanics since yesterday, they havent told me nothing yet. The lights come on when the brakes are applied. Another possibility i thought of was the throttle position sensor. Again i dont know if they still make these

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
903 Posts
Its been at the mechanics since yesterday, they havent told me nothing yet. The lights come on when the brakes are applied. Another possibility i thought of was the throttle position sensor. Again i dont know if they still make these
The throttle position sensor is, according to Honda, a non-replaceable part of the throttle body. The engine can't just race without air though. For that to be a problem, you'd need a largish vacuum leak, and for the computer to give the engine enough fuel to make it work. It's probably more likely for the throttle to be just stuck open.

Not being able to shift out of Park is probably a separate problem, since it doesn't involve any parts that make the engine run, except the ignition switch, and the PCM. You should be able to switch the engine on without starting it, and take car out of park width the engine on, not running. Do you know if you were able to do that?

Also, seemingly dumb question, are you sure your cruise control didn't get activated by accident? If you're driving, the cruise control will accelerate pretty aggressively to reach the cruise speed. If the cruise control cable gets stuck, it can hold the gas pedal down as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My nechanic just called me and told me they found a way to move the shufter out of park by removing the plastic case on top of the steering wheel and pressing a white lever. I never use the cruise control but i thought of that. The cruise dose not seem to be accidently engaged. Iam thinking of taking it from the mechanic that has it now and toeing it to the honda dealers service station. There must be something holding throttle open like u said

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
903 Posts
If they had to take the steering column covers off to reach the park lock release, which the owner's manual instructs you to press with the car key without taking anything apart, and which is fairly easy to reach through the shifter hole, they may not know enough about these older CR-Vs for you to want them to work on one.

Not necessarily doubting their mechanical skills, but I would expect any Honda mechanic to know about that without even getting in the car.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
430 Posts
If they had to take the steering column covers off to reach the park lock release, which the owner's manual instructs you to press with the car key without taking anything apart, and which is fairly easy to reach through the shifter hole, they may not know enough about these older CR-Vs for you to want them to work on one.

Not necessarily doubting their mechanical skills, but I would expect any Honda mechanic to know about that without even getting in the car.
Well.. we may not know right off the bat, but we have the knowledge and tech support to at least look in the right direction without wasting time and customers money diagnosing the wrong issues. Nothing comes up as a service bulletin related issue but plenty of stuff to diagnose both issues.

On another note check the carpet for signs of a water leak. Water in the micu or other electrical item can cause all kinds if issues.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Exactly....i took it there because i was too scared to drive to the dealers as they are farther away. It was hard for me to brake because the exessive surges in acceleration was affecting my brakes

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
534 Posts
Update. The car has been fixed mechanic found a mouse dead in the throttle body and a supermarket bag was squished in there probably from the mouse..shit like this only happens to me ofcourse
RIP CR-V Mouse.
You might want to figure out how it got there, did it chew through an air filter?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but I am told that those dryer sheets that people use will repel rodents. My boss usually has one or two zip tied to the battery handle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello everyone, last sunday my crv is at very high idle, very high revs. When driving it accelerates without me pushing the petal. The shifting gear is stuck on park . Its been at the mechanics for 2 days they have no idea what it is. Its an automatic crv 1998. Does anyone know if honda still makes throttle body for this model ?

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a ‘96 Accord that did the same thing, but without the mouse and bag. Oddly, the Accord had a slot next to the shift for the ignition key that would unlock the shifter. Never was exactly sure why it was there but it was nice to be able to get myself going once the problem would start. It was also coupled up with engine overheating. I think I spent $500 to have a mechanic chase down the problem and eventually give the inside of the intake plenum an intensive cleaning. The problem ended there.

Olgadgreece, I’m glad they fixed your car!

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
46 Posts
I had a similar "very high idle, very high revs" situation on two cars-
1. 1989 Mercury Sable and the throttle bottle needed periodic cleaning of carbon buildup behind the butterfly valve. I put that on a regular maintenance schedule, and it became a non-issue.
2. 1993 Mercury Villager (Nissan Engine)- the EGR valve was all clogged up.

I periodically run engine fuel additives that contain P.E.A. in my 2013 CRV EX.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts