Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting the oil change and the tech mentioned that he would change out the rear diff fluid if I came back with it from autozone. I went to autozone and they said it was a honda specific order and didn't carry it or couldn't order it.

Question. Does it HAVE to be Honda specific brand? If not, can someone point me to what autozone or anywhere else carries?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You want Honda brand Dual Pump II fluid. I am actually impressed that AutoZone knew what they were talking about and didn't send you out the door with their generic differential fluid or transmission fluid. I wouldn't call it special order as any Honda dealer should have it, but it is Honda specific fluid and the only thing you should be using. It should take 1.1 quarts to do a change so that does suck that you need a second bottle. You could probably get away with reusing a tiny bit of the old stuff if you wanted to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, there is a guy off amazon that has it for about $17.50 for 2 quarts right now and combined shipping at $6. So around $23 for two quarts and the local oil change place with change it out for $10 bucks. Not bad. Thank you for clarifying exactly what I'm needing and how many quarts. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Remember that this should be done every 30K miles.
In those years, Honda just recommended their CVT or similar auto transmission fluid for the rear differential, I believe. My roommate bought a 2000 CRV with 95,000 miles on it and at around 200,000 miles the diffy started making a rubbing-screeching type sound during a slow tight turn. Changing the fluid once with DP-2 fluid solved the problem. He had never changed it out while he had the CRV. I don't know what the recommended change interval was in the 98, but I'll bet it was higher than 30k.
Changing it that often won't hurt.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In those years, Honda just recommended their CVT or similar auto transmission fluid for the rear differential, I believe. My roommate bought a 2000 CRV with 95,000 miles on it and at around 200,000 miles the diffy started making a rubbing-screeching type sound during a slow tight turn. Changing the fluid once with DP-2 fluid solved the problem. He had never changed it out while he had the CRV. I don't know what the recommended change interval was in the 98, but I'll bet it was higher than 30k.
Changing it that often won't hurt.
Buffalo4
Ok, so this is why there is like a rubbing/screeching sound with I turn a slow right. Thanks for fixing that for me as well! Fluid is now on its way being shipped, once its in I'll report back to see if that caused the issue. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts