Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 CRV (manual, 365km, regularly serviced) has a problem in that it suddenly, and without any warning, shuts down while driving. This seems to occur after about 10mins driving, however can occur at anytime, and sometimes after parking briefly with the engine turned off (it wont restart). The first sign of shut down is the green 'key' light displays, then immediately followed by the orange 'engine' light. I've found the remedy to be waiting 10 mins and then it will restart with no sign of any power loss etc. If I turn the key prior to the 10 mins passing, there is plenty of 'turn over' but the engine doesn't start. This will also cause the 10 min wait to start again. The ignition has been replaced to try to solve the problem. I've read other threads by CRV owners whose vehicles suddenly shut-down but none refer to the warning light sequence. Is the security system erroneously activating, thus killing the engine and resetting itself in 10mins once stopped? What is the remedy?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Did your regular service include engine valve adjustments?

If the orange engine light is displaying it might be setting a code. Can you get the OBDII codes checked?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I had this issue on my '91 Civic Wagon many years ago. Turned out to be a resistor or relay that was part of the ignition system. Can't remember which, it was long ago and I've slept since then. Same exact behavior. Part was $35, took them 15 minutes to install it. Also, you might check the wiring harness connectors to make sure all are secure and not loose. Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts