Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on this. Loud ticking sound that i can only point towards the u joint on the transmission side of the drive shaft. Ive had my mechanic look at it when i couldnt come up with a solution and he wad leaning towards that as well. Only issue is the price tag of the factory driveshaft. Because the u joint is pressed in it is not replaceable so they sell ya a whole prop shaft instead... Couple questions. Are aftermarket driveshafts with with replaceable u joints worth it? Are they safe? Is it gonna go out on me quickly? I know that dorman makes one for about 500. Will that one put up with abuse? Will i have to replace those u joints soon after buying it? What have you done? Have you had this happen yet? We want to get our little "Black Bean" going again so it will last.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
There are many YouTube vids on how to replace the u-joints. I gave it my best 30 seconds.

You could remove the shaft as a diagnostic. If the clicking is gone you verified it. ANY notchiness when working the u-joints is suspect. (I spray silicone lubricant on my joints every oil change.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts