Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks...I'm the proud new owner of an old (98) CR-V. It seems well-maintained and clean. I'm having an overheating issue at idle, however. Just signed up for this forum so I haven't looked hard for an answer yet. Thoughts?

Thanks, Karl

Both fans are coming on...when I'm stopped/idle the temp gauge goes near redline and over redline if I remain at idle...if I rev the motor to 1500 rpm or more, the gauge quickly comes back down to normal operating temp. Sensor issue? Help! This is annoying and I don't want to damage the motor with excessive heating, but I shouldn't have to rev the engine at idle to keep my temp down.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sounds like you might have an aftermarket thermostat in there. I've read that they don't open as far as the OEM ones do.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Karl, welcome to the forum, good to have you and your CRV. Next time the temperature gauge starts to starts to climb, immediately rotate the selector switch to HEAT. This will give the coolant another route to travel, thus letting the water circulate. Now you wonder how I know this, mine did the same thing and I found the radiator partially stopped up, so I replaced the radiator, now the temperature gauge stays a half way, the way it's supposed to do. Let me know how it works for you. BTW don't replace with anything except OEM, it's stamped on the radiator cap, ND(nippo denso) or TOYO, good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check your radiator fans, unplug the fans at the connectors and connect each one to the battery and see if they are working. When the AC compressor cycles on both fans should be running, if one or both fans fail to run do the above test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of low coolant level. If the radiator is not full, then the pump has to generate more pressure to "lift" the fluid up and over the air gap. Revving the engine does generate this extra pump pressure. Be sure the fluid level is full, and check for leaks to ensure it stays full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts