Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a bunch of front end work and new motor mounts, it's come to my attention the rear suspension is also looking haggard. i haven't done a thorough inspection, yet, but on a quick looksee atleast the drive side upper trailing arm bushing is bad. leads me to suspect i'll find other rear bushings that are also bad or on their way

there's always the balance with time and money when you're a diy'er mechanic, so i'm trying to determine a good course of action. it makes sense to replace the trailing and lower arm bushings since the entire parts themselves are costly when added up. but, what about the compensator and upper arm bushings? the compensator arm is pretty pricey whereas the upper arm seems to run about half that. (depending on the source, of course.) however, on a brief parts search i found these:

good stuff? applicable? they look the same as the crv components and the price is right vs replacing the entire part

i'm only two years old to honda crv ownership. i have two '98's....his and hers, if you will. so, i'm learning, but i suspect there's compatibility between differing honda models. any guidance on that would appreciated so i can hopefully broaden my search options.

on top of that, some of these honda bushing designs seem pretty flimsy to me. the trailing arm bushings and two lower motor mounts are pointed examples. are there any aftermarket options that are perhaps sturdier/of better design? iow's, solid bushings rather than this gapulated truss type design that is oem

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
did some more searching and energy suspension has a bunch of bushing options. oddly, the crv is not listed as a vehicle selection. the civic is, but...again...are the rear suspension parts interchangeable? they're looking exactly the same, though i realize dimensions are key

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I checked hondapartscheap.com and found one or two bushings that were listed also working with some Civics, but everything else was CR-V only.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that info! i just looked on the site and saw the bushings you refer to; for the upper arm. however, i poked around looking at parts that i need to (or not) replace bushings on and those parts do interchange. therefore, the bushings should also.

buuuut, perhaps that's all moot. again, crv doesn't come up for selection when you hit the "shop by vehicle" tab on the ES site. so, instead i typed in crv 97-2001 in the "search" button and then..viola!!... crv options came up. not alot of choices there, though. mostly kits. and, there is a complete rear end rebuild kit for $196 and change. i just don't know what all i need to actually replace, yet.

nevertheless, i now have a compass and am on course. thanks, again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i should note something like the lower or trailing arm doesn't crossover to a civic, but atleast the upper and compensator arms do

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did some more pokin' around on various supplier websites and finally occurred to me to cross reference parts on o'reilly's website. been more precisely helpful than even the honda site linked above

so far i've been able to determine all the bushings i've questioned replacing on my crv (which are all rear end bushings, really) do indeed interchange with the civic of atleast the same year and atleast the '94 integra. likely the years span further, but i stopped with what was pertinent to my needs. this would be advantageous to know for anyone else looking and possibly running across this thread as i've personally had a real bugger of a time tracking down compatibility on data bases and forums. with DB's, a lot of gaps in data or vagueness. and forums, either the application is for a different purpose (ie. lowering the ride or tricking out the engine) or the thread/s is near pointless wandering with no conclusions

at any rate, took a much closer look at the rear end and it looks like all i need to repair afterall are the trailing arm bushings. for anyone interested, hardrace seems to have a much sturdier looking design over oem TA bushings and a better compound. plus, on the website i found them, there's several options that aren't priced out the roof. check'em out if you need some. i'm going to o'reilly in the next couple of days, however. not quite $90 for set of import direct w/ lifetime warranty. the kicker is i need to do this repair by friday so i can drive it this weekend. those TA bushings are toast!!! had i time to wait, though....hardrace ftw

ps. spoon sports also has a good looking option
and, the website....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can vouch for HardRace products, been using their stuff for years on my HPDE CRX. Recently just swapped my trailing arm bushings with HardRace as well. There used to be a thread on this forum that had a bunch of interchanging info between different Honda/Acura parts that fit our RD1s', I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i ran into a tool issue and haven't replaced the TA bushings, yet. i got a ball joint press rented from o'reilly, but the kit doesn't have a cylinder (to catch the bushing on the extraction side) big enough to fit over the outside diameter of the bushing. found my neighbor had a very long pipe 3.25" inside diameter with 1/4" wall and cut a 3" section from it. fits perfectly on the backside so that the BJ press will also work perfectly. better than paying over $100 for the legit tool!

i'd searched the web for ideas/ways to get these things out. short of hammering, or buying the $$$ tool, this ought to be a good option for anyone else also looking for to do this job

1 - 10 of 10 Posts