Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 99 CR-V and i was noticing how much free space is leftover in the cranshaft keyway. Normally it uses 2 woodruf keys , one for timing belt pulley and one for the cranksaft pulley. Has anyone had success using one of the longer, single keys from Honda. If so what part #? or can a 3rd key be placed in there , ground to fit? 3 normal size keys are little too long, 3rd one would need to be ground a bit. Just wondering since its an easy what to add extra protection over pulleys sheering them off. Usually the damage in the keyway is due to a loose crankshaft pulley bolt. Just thought I'd beef it up a bit in there.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Might not be good idea...

Hello, I have a 99 CR-V and i was noticing how much free space is leftover in the cranshaft keyway. Normally it uses 2 woodruf keys , one for timing belt pulley and one for the cranksaft pulley. Has anyone had success using one of the longer, single keys from Honda. If so what part #? or can a 3rd key be placed in there , ground to fit? 3 normal size keys are little too long, 3rd one would need to be ground a bit. Just wondering since its an easy what to add extra protection over pulleys sheering them off. Usually the damage in the keyway is due to a loose crankshaft pulley bolt. Just thought I'd beef it up a bit in there.
I use this site because the diagrams and lists are convenient - and their prices are competitive:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1999-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-5mt/crankshaft-piston.html

The '99 keys are #16 on the diagram and are 4.5x11. PN 90704-634-000
The '10 key is #16 on the diagram and is 4.5x21, PN 90704-PNA-000

so the two '99's are a mm longer than the longer one. It also appears the pulleys and spacers are not the same.

You can open two browser windows, pull up the page for the '99 and another later model with the single key for line by line comparison.

Good luck,

·
Registered
571 Posts
why bother? think of how many Honda motors are out there with this system. If you want to beef something up, work on the weak engine, differential supports

1 - 4 of 4 Posts