Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a roaring wheel bearing on my 99 awd crv. I don't know how to tell which wheel it is coming from. I've seen videos of running the car with the wheels off the ground, but that seems very risky to me. Does anyone have any tips on this? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the front end, but that's what I thought about the rear diff noise too. Its hard to tell on awd. I tried spinning the front tires with one off the ground at a time and the automatic transmission in neutral, but the wheels are very stiff to turn, like some sort of transmission resistance.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The resistance is normal as its a 4wd. When you turn in a different direction does the noise goes away?
Could not agree more with otto888mans suggestion. To carry it one step further, find a large enough parking lot(hopefully empty), drive @ a safe speed in a tight turn comparing noise from one direction and the other direction. Roll down all 4 windows in order to hear better. JMO, and good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
As mentioned driving in circles may increase the noise especially if it is on the front.
You can check for play at each hub if it is getting bad enough. You may also see signs of grease seepage at a bad bearing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't hear it driving in tight circles as you suggested. I don't hear it at all until i'm going about 35 or 40mph or more. Then it becomes very noticeable. The faster above 40 I go the louder it gets. I'm almost positive its a wheel bearing but don't know how to pin point which one. Someone suggested swerving left to right at higher speeds to tell if it briefly goes away (when the bearing is under more load). I might try that today.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just be careful doing the swerving technique. When doing this, if you turn to the left & the noise is present its the bearing on the right side. If you swerve on the right & the noise becomes present its the left bearing. Was anything done before this happened? You could also have a bad tire, that has separated cords inside. Let us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having a hard time finding a empty stretch of road to swerve on going 45mph on a Saturday with traffic. What little I was able to try I really couldn't hear any difference. I did lift each wheel off the ground and check for looseness or wobble and they all feel tight.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a tire? Check each tire for unusual wear or underinflation, etc.
Otherwise you should put it on a hoist (all wheels off the ground) and put it in drive and run it up to the speed where the noise occurs.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rotated the tires and it didn't make any difference. None of them look unusual. Center bearing is a possibility. Anything typical about how long they last? I've got 175K miles on mine. Still runs like a top.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
As what Shryp suggested it may well be the centre support bearing. To confirm this you can remove the whole drive shaft. But be sure you mark all areas where you removed the flanges. Let us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It could be the drive shaft bearing. I think I'll let it go for now. thanks for the ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts