Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear door does not shut closed all the way securely neither does the glass top part of the door. I've only seen one fix on youtube with tips to fix but it wasn't very helpful. Is there anyway i can fix this my self or do i need to take it to a shop and have it looked at? How do i remove the rear door panel without damaging it? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The handle that opens the tailgate on the fist gen CRVs are prone to corrosion. The spring will not have enough power to overcome the rust. First, carefully use a screw driver to push the latch handle back. Don't break the plastic housing over the license plate. If it moves forward, try shutting the door. If that does it, you need to buy a new handle. The cheapest I've seen is around $35 on ebay. The plastic cover on the tailgate will unsnap when you pull at the edges. Be sure to remove the 2 screws under the oblong cover and the 2 screws that fasten the hook to the door. Tug at the cover until it pops free. There are small acorn nuts that hold the license bracket to the tailgate that have to come off too, if I remember correctly. Treat them gingerly as they tend to break off. If that happens, a small amount of clear silicone will secure the license bracket to the tailgate. A small clip holds the rod to the handle. Un-clip it from the rod and lift the rod from the handle. Unbolt the handle, install the new one, re-insert the rod and re attach the clip to the rod. Re assemble the plastic panel, put the 4 screws in and enjoy opening the tailgate. F.Y.I. I have tried to clean the rust and soak the old handles in penetrating oil, but it was a temporary fix. Buy the new one and save yourself that aggravation. Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here is a pic of the rear tailgate. The part that you need is #20. (PN 74857-S10-033) HANDLE ASSY., GATE (LOWER) for $33.05.

http://estore.honda.com/honda/images/parts/catalogs/EA/13S1001/Estore/illustrations2/S103B5510D.png

Really easy to replace by yourself. You need to take out two screws behind the small door in the lower left of the inside panel. Then there are two screws where the hook in on the upper right, once these are out, you can pop the inside panel off the door. Now there are 4 nuts that you need to take out that holds the plastic trim part that holds the license plate. Once the nuts are out, you can remove the trim and you will see the handle assembly, there are two screws / nuts holding this in. Remove, replace and put everything back together. At most will be a hour to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had this problem with my wife's 1999 about once a year in our salted roads environment.

Pry off a little panel on the inside of the door and you can see the whole assembly with a flashlight.

I hit it all with a good squirt of WD40, then it's good for a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts