Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to replace the front and rear swaybar bushings today as they were getting a little creaky, and I snapped a bolt trying to take off the bracket on the front driver's side.

I tried to go slow... back out slow, spray some penetrating lube, tighten, back out a little more, repeat... But I guess I took too big a swing and the head of the bolt snapped off.

What are my options? I'm not much of a gear-head, I only ever attempt simple stuff (like these bushings).

Can I drive the car with only one bolt holding that bracket and bushing in place? The side with the busted bolt is hanging a little down off the frame, even with the other bolt tightened back up.

There is a little mom and pop shop on the corner that has done work for me before, I was thinking I would take it there to see if they can fix my mistake. But I'm curious what you guys think.

Fixture Gas Auto part Automotive tire Screw

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,013 Posts
You can drive it CAREFULLY like that, for short distances.

My usual plan of attack:

More penetrant (NOT WD40. Kroil, PB Blaster, or even ArmorAll, is better)

Reverse drill bits and extractors

Weld a nut to the 'stub' and also apply heat to the broken bolt (which is probably what the shop would do, if you don't weld yourself)

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,991 Posts
Yeah, wishful thinking on how to weld a nut to that stub.
You would need to remove the rest of them to gain access to the bolt stub.
(Been there and done that)
Electrical induction heating of the bolts is about the only way to go.
Induction heating unit can cost upwards from $200
But, you can and will use it many times if you do your own work on your vehicle
But, for removing this broken bolt, would get need to remove everything covering it.

You can weld a nut to that stub of a bolt. Or, if there is a stub to file or cut it flat.
Center punch a starting point for a drill bit.
Drill small to larger. Eventually, it should become loose enough
and you can pull or twist the remains of the bolt out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The local shop was able to get that bolt out for me. Said he heated it till the whole area was red hot and then was able to grab the stub and twist it out with a big pair of pliers.

He said all other bolts came out with no issue.

Interesting to note... he said there is much bigger chance of breaking a bolt with hand tools vs using an impact driver. Said impact tools break up the rust as they work, while hand tools tend to further pinch and compact the rust in the threads. Maybe everyone here knows this already, but I found it interesting.

All good now. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts