Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my 99 CRV has about had it, but I wanted to check with you guys to help me determine if the transmission is shot or if there's anything I can do short of having it rebuilt or replaced.

So the details, 99 CRV, 256k miles, automatic, 4WD. About 3 years ago, 221k miles, I had some issues with the engine revving when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I did the 4 drain/refill flushing method with Honda genuine fluid to see if it would help. Initially it seems to help a little but did not go away immediately. I guess it did eventually but I don't remember when because it took some time.

Several weeks ago it came back, mostly on cold mornings around freezing temps or colder. On some of the colder mornings, it would hesitate and rev at every up shift. Doesn't matter if i'm driving it hard or easy. It usually gets better once the engine warms up or when it's warmer after work. Yesterday on my way home from work, temps probably 50s to 60s, it was shifting slow and revving between all shifts. So I check the fluid levels when I get home (with the engine running) and noticed it was low. I topped it off and took it for a drive. Shifts were back to normal other than the usual 2nd to 3rd shift. This morning with temps maybe in the low 40s, it was acting really strange. I the neighborhood it was fine. Never got out of 2nd though. When I got on the highway (speed limit 55) it hesitated from 1st to 2nd, 2nd revved really high before shifting then seemed to skip 3rd and go into OD. By the time I get to work (10 min away) it seems back to "normal" and still the same on the way home.

Let me know if anyone has had experience with something like this and any suggestions. Anyone have a transmission rebuilt recently? How much did it cost?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
First off you checked the fluid incorrectly.

Honda automatic transmission fluid check is one youve driven vehicle so engine and transmission are at running temperature park on level ground. SHUT ENGINE OFF then immediately check fluid level.

As high of mileage as it is, very possibly the transmission is worn out so it cant maintain pressure needed to engage clutches at each shift. What your experiencing is transmission slipping. Low fluid, bad fluid (not changed nearly enough) or just purely age causing things to be wore out is normal.

Chances are since you kept driving it with it acting up, it may be beyond saving without an overhaul. You can try a bottle of lubeguard RED and that may help but no promises.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I actually checked it that way (warm with engine off) the day before and the level was fine. Then I read something saying the engine should be running. Now since your comment, I've verified again that it should be off. Too much conflicting information out there but I guess that's because each car is a little different. :confused: That would explain the problems after I filled it up cuz it's bound to be overfilled now.

Something just jogged a memory cell from 3 years ago when I read this post:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/2324-honda-auto-trans-flush-procedure-official.html

That's when I found out the change interval was 60K miles. I went for the 4x change hoping to salvage it and planned to do just a single drain and fill every 15k as was discussed on the 2nd page. Well, working full time, 6-8 hrs of classes a semester, and my daughter being born that year seems to have helped me forget that detail. Either way, I would still only be half-way to doing another 4x change. Looks like the damage was already done and I've been on borrowed time. For what it's worth, I may just keep it parked until I can try another 4x change and some of the lubeguard you recommended. It may not get me very far, but I guess it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The lubeguard can be put in right now, takes a bit of driving for it to fully absorb into everything. Just drive it right after then let sit over night and if it can help it will within 2-3 days. If that doesnt help the transmission is done, needs replaced/overhauled.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts