Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again. Another problem I've been troubleshooting on my 99 crv is this: When I first start the car the engine revs high up to around 1500 to 2000 rpms. Then slowly comes back to normal. Of course this is terrible for the engine since the oil isn't moving yet. So I usually try to put it in gear as soon as I start it to control the rpms. After driving and the engine is warm the problem goes away. it purrs like a kitten in neutral when warm. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned really well. I also pulled both idle air control valves and cleaned them well. The one on the back side near the fire wall has two round ports. One has a screen in it. It was completely clogged with carbon. I cleaned it all up good and put it back together. I thought for sure that would fix it. The problem actually got worse after doing this. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did clean the fast idle thermal valve by taking it off and spraying it with throttle body cleaner. But I didn't completely disassemble it like in the video you shared. I guess that's the next step. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm helping a friend work on her 1997 CR-V with the exact same symptoms, the problem started when the weather got down into the lower 30's & upper 20's. Will try the steps in the video, but I would appreciate any other info anyone has!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Otto888man for the youtube link. This worked like a charm. The car starts up like new now. Getting the valve off and back on the throttle body is the hardest part. But with patience it's not too bad. Taking it apart and cleaning it is easy. Mine didn't look all that dirty inside. But I disassembled and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. It did have a fine layer of soot on everything, which causes the little plunger to get stuck. Make sure all the parts move freely before reassembly. Mine works like new now. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts