Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in the past week my 1999 Honda POS...errr,,,, CRV has completely cut off when I was at a stop light, and it TRIED to cut off three other times. When I say "completely cut off", I mean EVERYthing went dark... including the stereo and the dash lights. It cranked right back up both times, though... this is baffling!
What are Earth could be causing this?
I look forward to any information/solution any of you can provide!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Possibly the ignition switch. Of course, that's just an educated guess but that's what my '98 was doing quite a few years ago before I took it in for the ignition switch recall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey "headknocker"!!
Ironically, I was speaking with a friend of mine tonight, and that is one of TWO things he mentioned!
About the recall... is there a statute of limitations on it? I was totally unaware of the recall for that!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Just remembered that the radio show "Car Talk" with Tom & Ray Magliozzi had several questions about this condition. Their stock answer was to check the key ring on which the car key is located. People often forget how heavy key rings can become just by adding "just one more" key. When hanging from the ignition switch, the weight of the key ring can, over the years, cause misalignment inside the ignition switch, thus breaking the electrical circuit.

Of course, today with all the keyless ignition system out there, this is a moot point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey "headknocker"!!
Ironically, I was speaking with a friend of mine tonight, and that is one of TWO things he mentioned!
About the recall... is there a statute of limitations on it? I was totally unaware of the recall for that!
I have no idea if there's a statute of limitations on recalls but I know I ignored the ignition switch recall for several years until it reared it's ugly head one day while driving to work. With no prior warning I lost power a handful of times in a several mile stretch so I turned around and went back home...it was quite unnerving to say the least. Of course, several days later when I took it to the dealership to get the work done it performed fine for the entire ten mile trip over there...typical.

I seem to remember the power door locks going on and off several times when I would lose power.

I think the recall was announced around fifteen years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no idea if there's a statute of limitations on recalls but I know I ignored the ignition switch recall for several years until it reared it's ugly head one day while driving to work. With no prior warning I lost power a handful of times in a several mile stretch so I turned around and went back home...it was quite unnerving to say the least. Of course, several days later when I took it to the dealership to get the work done it performed fine for the entire ten mile trip over there...typical.

I seem to remember the power door locks going on and off several times when I would lose power.

I think the recall was announced around fifteen years ago.
Hey I'm wondering can I just call Honda and ask them if they did the recall on mine and if they didn't if they can do it? 🤔

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good question, Alex, and in fact I went over to my local Honda dealer late last week, but they were "so busy" that they told me to come back. I have a feeling that they're just going to laugh in my face when I ask them if they'd still honor the recall!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very good question, Alex, and in fact I went over to my local Honda dealer late last week, but they were "so busy" that they told me to come back. I have a feeling that they're just going to laugh in my face when I ask them if they'd still honor the recall!
Yeah probably even tho it would be legitimate 🤷🏻‍♂️ if ever you decide to do it please let me know what was their answer!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Go to the link that headknocker provided in post #6 as it even gives you the part number and how to replace the switch. It looks pretty easy. No need to replace the ignition cylinder or key as the part is screwed (2 phillips screws) to the back of the cylinder.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MS:
Will this website tell you if the switch has already been replaced on the car, or does it just tell you what recalls have been issued for it? The car belonged to my brother, and he gave it to me 7 years ago. I've e-mailed him to see if he ever got a recall notice, but have yet to hear back from him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me again.... I just called my local Honda dealership, they were able to look it up and it turns out the ignition switch WAS replaced back in 2002. Bottom line: I have to pay to get a new one, but as "Buffalo" pointed out, I can get just the wires, so that will be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me again!
As I posted directly above this, the ignition switch WAS replaced back in 2002(When my brother owned the car).... my question to those of you who are FAR more knowledgeable than myself... why would the ignition switch go bad again after 18 years? And just for the record... I NEVER had this much trouble with any of my cars... even my '74 VEGA!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
so is it fixed?
Answer to your Q.
may be bad design from Honda, bad quality materials, ...
But
If you have bad grounds the system gets extra electrical load and well electrical parts begin to fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey "New"!
Nope....haven't had it fixed yet, though the switch(The wiring part only) is waiting for me at the local NAPA store... I just have to find someone to INSTALL the damned thing! ALL the mechanics in my city are BACKED UP by at LEAST TWO WEEKS! Well... the GOOD mechanics are booked up that long!
On a side note.... I watched a video on youtube posted by "Eric the Car Guy" about this very problem, and after trying his "test", am fully convinced that this is the way to go! I hope to hell he's RIGHT!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The wiring is easy to replace. Its all plugs may be one wire bolted to fuse box but its easy. Just do one at a time. Unplug old cable and plug same cable in from new part. Then onto the next.
You need to disconnect battery terminals and wait 5 mins to allow the airbag system to de energize all capacitors from electronic circuit.
But if unsure wait for a tech.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts