Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a PROUD Honda CRV owner and I love my little SUV but just yesterday night the engine starting squealing on cold starts. It lasts less than 3 seconds but usually these things get worse rather than better so I want to get to the bottom of the problem now! Also to see if me and my pop can fix it instead of taking it to a shop where they charge $95 an hour labor rate!

Details:
1. It ONLY happens on cold starts
2. It lasts less than 3 seconds (for now)
3. I checked some of the pullies to see if there's any play (namely the alternator pully and there is none
4. The belts do not appear cracked or damaged

Please advise on ideas. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Did you check the pulleys with the belts off or on?

Next step, if I were checking, would be to take a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to listen at the pulley locations with the engine running. This is dangerous and should be done with caution. See if you can hear one that is louder than the others. Should be pretty easy to track down the squealing one.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It was fairly common in that gen of CRV to have the tensioner pulley for the ac comp belt make that noise when the temp dropped. On a warmer day, no noise when starting.
Most times it didn't cause a problem, at least during that first six months or more.
I would recommend changing out that pulley when it warms up and probably change those acc belts at the same time.
Googling will help give you more info.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
When I changed my timing belt I opened up the AC idler pulley bearing and put some new grease in it. That fixed my noise. Mine wasn't so much a squeal as just a dry bearing noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We have two 1998 V's and when it gets damp and cold both of them will squeal a bit when first started. I wouldn't worry about it but if the squeal continues after driving it for awhile then you have some problems and can follow the experts helpful advice listed above.

I shot some CRC belt conditioner on both our V's belts and that helped to quiet them even further on start up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Currently experiencing same issue on a 2000. Two questions for those smarter than I:

1. Does it do any harm to leave it? Generally last half a second only on start up.

2. Does belt spray really work, or would I be buying snake oil?

Thanks, Slob

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
1. When a belt squeals, it is slipping. A slipping belt soon become glazed (very slick), and even MORE prone to slipping and squealing. So, it isn't going to get any better.

2. Belt spray can be a useful diagnostic tool (especially if an engine has more than one accessory belt). But, it's NOT a long term solution.

The REAL solution is to replace the offending belt. While it is off, check any idlers or tensioners for rough-feeling rotation or wobble side-to-side. (see Shryp's post, above) Replace those as necessary.

If you are in North America, do it now before cold weather sets in. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, Buff.
Belts look pretty tricky to get at, and they're due for replacement in 15,000k/10,000 miles, so I'll make a call soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts