Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a curb straight on and I'm pretty sure my upper and lower A arms are damaged for my front left tire. What tools would I need to remove and install these parts (socket sizes, etc)? I also appreciate any advice or knowledge shared on the subject and/or process.

Thank you,

Mason

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Upper ball joints are a common wear item on this setup for Honda suspensions. Might be a good idea to do both sides, or at least check the other side and make sure it isn't loose. I paid $60 each for mine a couple years ago when I bought them.

The top control arms are pretty easy and only require some basic tools. I don't remember the socket sizes I used though. You will need a basic set of 3/8" drive metric sockets, a rachet, a hammer, possibly a ball joint separator/pickle fork and some pliers and a flat screwdriver for the cotter pin. You will obviously need to remove the tire. Remove the cotter pin and big nut on the ball joint that goes into the spindle. Use pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the spindle or put the castle nut back on upside down and even with the end of the threads and drive it out with a hammer. Then from up under the hood you need to remove the 2 bolts that go into the control arm. They screw into nuts welded up under the fender so no need to hold anything when you remove them. The left side was somewhat of a pain as the brake lines and master cylinder were kind of in the way. The right side for me was a pain because I had to remove the battery and holding tray, but then I had plenty of room. I don't have the torque specs off hand for reassembly, but don't kill any of the bolts. Remember to put the cotter pin back in the castle nut (tighten the nut to line the holes up, never loosen it after assembly) and don't do the final tightening of the 2 bolts under the hood until the vehicle is back on the ground with the full weight on the tire.

I have no experience with the lowers so can't offer any advice on those.

If you bent all that up you might want to take a look at your tie rod ends too.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Before you start buying parts and tearing it apart you need to do a couple things.

Get it looked at by a pro. If there is anything bent you may have bent the knuckle as well.

If you are going to do the work yourself you should pick up a service manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts